Q. I got a rash-like bump in my ring finger after wearing a silver ring. Is that a fungal infection?

Dr. Chaitra Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Sep 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have a rash or bumpy area on the base of my ring finger on the side where it touches my middle finger. That occur several days ago while I was wearing a silver ring on that finger. I have taken off the ring but the area is getting painful with irritation and it seems to be getting worse. I have used an antifungal cream on it for one day so far, but I am not sure how to tell if it is actually fungal or not.

#

From the picture provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is most likely to be a viral infection like herpes or a contact dermatitis.

These lesions are usually tiny grouped blisters and cause pain. They last for about 7-10 days and resolve spontaneously. However, they may get infected secondarily oozing pus and spreading to surrounding area.

You can apply Mupirocin cream to prevent further infection. I would also suggest you to see your dermatologist as you may require oral medications to prevent complications.

Herpes infection, contact dermatitis, and fungal infection is the rare possibility.

Tzanck smear or pus culture can help.

Herpes infection.

May require oral antiviral and analgesic medications.

I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body. What can they be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 72 years male, who weighs 66 kg and I am 166 cm tall. I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body which responses temporarily to oral steroids. RAST test showed I am allergic to dogs and cats. My dermatologist diagnosed it as type 3 hypersensitivity (IgG mediated), and I am no...  Read Full »

Sinus Infection Turned Into Two Ear Infections. Should I Be Worried?

Query: Hi doctor,About a week ago, I got a sinus infection which turned into two ear infections. I have now been on Z-pak as well as Flonase and steroids for four days. My left ear feels substantially better. My right ear, however, is still a little plugged, and now I am experiencing pressure in my temple ...  Read Full »

Why do I have brown spots on fingertips?

Query: Hello doctor, I have dark spots on my fingers that I have noticed this month only. It seems to be dry skin and this area on my fingers look bruised, as if they were left in the cold and looks almost purplish. In the past I did have tiny bumps that were itchy on the sides of my fingers but, they ar...  Read Full »