Q. My CBC showed 1+ anisocytosis. Any suggestions?

Dr. Smrita Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

My recent CBC showed 1+ anisocytosis and 1+ anisocytosis. My hemoglobin is 12.9. The lowest hemoglobin I ever had was I believe post my C-section. I do take multivitamin/ or prenatal almost on daily basis even now. I am concerned with these results: I know in previous blood test it showed some anisocytosis but not +1. My physician did not say anything about this. I found out because I read my tests. I am going back to see him and question these results. Any suggestions?

#

Anisocytosis means a difference in the size of the red blood cells. This could mean that you have a mild iron deficiency. Anisocytosis of 1+ is a very mild variation in the size of the RBCs.

Your hemoglobin levels are towards the lower end of the normal range and it is possible that your iron stores are depleted. This can be determined by testing serum ferritin levels.

I would suggest that you continue taking the iron and folic acid tablets for another two to three months to bring up your hemoglobin levels and replenish your iron stores.

There is no need for you to worry.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|