Q. Kindly suggest medicines to minimize the muscle and nerve tightening and any new effective medicine for ankylosing spondylitis.

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 17, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• Seven years ago, I was affected by ankylosing spondylitis (HLA-B27 positive) (RF negative).
  • And then after a year, I was affected by pulmonary tuberculosis (TB lungs).
  • Tuberculosis was controlled within months and I continued taking medication for ankylosing spondylitis.
  • And then for a few months I had used homeopathy and ayurvedic medicines. 
  • Now I am on SAAZ-DS and NSAIDs.
  • Bilateral SI (sacroiliac) joint spaces are reduced and restricted forward movement and other joint movements.
  • I am doing light exercise, but in pain. It is a bit difficult.
  • Last month, as usual back pain knocked on my right side lower back, but this time muscles got tightened and in the morning when I wake up, pain is so severe.
  • Pain is so severe that, even pain killer does not work.
  • After few days, the pain disappears and one of the nerve on the same right side back feels like tightened and I feel something like electric shocks.
  • Even during sleep, when I wake up there is too much pain.
  • I get stuck in one position, but after standing and walking, the pain disappears gradually.
  • Again after few days, it reduces gradually but not completely.
  • I am now 28 years old and I weigh 66 Kg.
  • In the past few months my weight has increased about 6 Kg,

I am requesting you to kindly suggest medicines to minimize the muscle and nerve tightening and any new effective medicine for ankylosing spondylitis.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Following are the answers for your queries:

• Get an  MRI LS spine done, to see for any disc prolapse as the pain you are describing along with tingling sensation is seen in disc prolapse only.
  • A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine will help you in neuropathy pain.
  • For ankylosing spondylitis, you can go for biological therapy drug like Rituximab.
  • Effective NSAID would be Etoricoxib. For severe pain you may take Tramadol.

Stay healthy.

Revert back with the reports to a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

| 

How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can ben...  Read Full »

Nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 27 years old, 50 kg, 162 cm. Just before sleeping at 11:30 AM, I took two Panadol advance pills and one Muscerol 3 pill altogether. I have not eaten for the last five hours earlier. Later that night, I woke up around 2 AM feeling nausea which lasted for a few minutes. S...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »

Ask a Rheumatologist Now