Q. Why do I have a severe headache after stopping my antianxiety medications?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I suffer from social anxiety. I have been taking Lyrica for four months every day with a dosage of 300 mg to 600 mg to relieve stress. Three days ago, I stopped the medication, and now I am having severe depression and headaches and not sure what to do. I have more Lyrica, but not sure how to gradually stop it. I take Xanax 0.5 mg twice daily as well. Please give me your opinion on this.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. I can understand your situation. You have a social anxiety disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for it, and you should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will surely help you. You should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like going for a walk. If possible, join the gym or swim. It will boost your confidence. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit in one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. Just let it be. It will help you to relax. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods and drink enough water. You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family. It would help if you spent time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills or language or musical instruments. You should sleep for 7 to 8 hours daily. It would help if you avoided tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

You need to reduce the doses of your tablets gradually and do not stop abruptly. For Lyrica (Pregabalin), if you take 300 mg, then take 200 mg for six weeks, then take 100 mg for six weeks, then take 50 mg for six weeks, and then stop it. Meanwhile, do not stop your Xanax (Alprazolam). It would help if you continued your Xanax as and when reducing your dosages of Lyrica. Once you get off Lyrica, then start reducing the dosage of Xanax. You are taking Xanax twice daily, so you first stop the morning dose and take the night dose for six weeks. After that, take Xanax 0.25 mg night dose for six weeks, take an alternate day for another six weeks, and then stop it. I suggest you not to worry about it immensely.

|