Q. I get leg pain and blue feet in the dependent position and have a history of SVT. Kindly help me.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I have SVT. I have been having back pain and leg pain. I have a previous history of GERD and premature ovarian failure. I got CBC and CMP done. Can you tell me what mild atherosclerotic vascular calcification in CT scan means and if it is dangerous? Kindly guide me.

#

Aorta is the largest artery in the body. It gets atherosclerotic changes over the lifetime of a person. Some have fast, and some have a slow process of atherosclerosis. Mild atherosclerotic changes are not dangerous. Every person has these changes. Some have more, some have less with age, atherosclerosis increases.

Do the following things to reduce risk:

1) Control blood pressure.

2) Control blood cholesterol levels.

3) Control blood sugar levels.

4) Avoid junk and fatty foods.

5) Eat more fruits and vegetables.

6) Do regular exercise.

If you have a family history of aortic dilatation or aortic dissection, or heart attack at a young age, then you should have more tests done, otherwise only cling to the above measures.

I hope this was helpful.

I do have a family history as my uncle had a massive heart attack at a young age. I am 38-year-old, and my BP is normal. I do not drink or smoke. I am not overweight, and lipids are normal as well. With my job, I do a lot of sitting at a desk, and now I am concerned, especially with my SVT. What tests do you recommend to check the rest of the heart? Also, would this cause leg pain and blue feet in a dependent position? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Good to know that you do not drink or smoke and your lipids are within range.

1) Sedentary lifestyle: Avoid sitting for long. Do regular exercise atleast 30 minutes daily brisk walk or jogging. To reduce the risk of future cardiovascular events.

2) SVT (Supraventricular tachycardia): It is not a dangerous arrhythmia. It can be managed with medicines, but if symptoms are bothersome or medicines are ineffective, or if medicines are causing side effects, then the permanent solution is catheter ablation which can be done by a cardiac electrophysiologist easily. Very low risk of complications of this procedure but the cure rate is more than 90%.

3) Blue feet: No, it does not cause blue feet, especially mild calcification. Leg pain on walking and relief on rest is called intermittent claudication, and it occurs in peripheral arterial disease such as blockage of leg arteries. It is diagnosed by measuring BP (blood pressure) in the arm and leg and then calculating the ratio of systolic BP of the leg: arm. If it is less than 0.9, this is suspected of peripheral arterial disease, and then a doppler ultrasound of the leg is done. CT (computed tomography) angiography is also done to confirm the levels of arterial blockage. Treated with medicines, but if not effective, a stent may be placed, or a surgical bypass is also an option. But do not worry, I do not think so you have the peripheral arterial disease as you have no risk factors for it.

4) Further tests for the heart: A cholesterol test is done. Just have a baseline ECG (electrocardiogram) done, and no further tests are needed. If you are concerned about cardiovascular risk, then a coronary artery calcium score is done via CT scan, which can risk stratify for cardiovascular events in the future.

I hope this was helpful.

|