Q. My gums bleed when I brush my teeth. Will calcium supplement help?

Dr. Tooba Qazi

I get bleeding at the time of brushing. I think I do not have enough calcium. Please provide me some calcium supplements and a solution to this problem.

#

Well, this is the complaint most of the patients come up with, and they have a slight misconception about the problem. Usually, if gums bleed just while brushing, it is due to the weakness of gums and not the tooth. So you do not need any calcium supplements for it.

The solution of your problem is simple, but the result totally depends on you that how consistently you follow the instructions:

1. Do lukewarm saline water mouth rinses (dissolving a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water) three times a day for two weeks.

2. Start using Cholrhexadine mouth wash two times a day.

3. Start using Pro Salz or Hi-Salz toothpaste (i.e toothpaste containing sodium as an active ingredient) and continue for a month.

4. Check if you are a mouth breather that can be the cause of bleeding gums. Try to breathe through the nose while sleeping.

Hopefully, you will get results in two weeks.

Follow up after two weeks.

|