Q. I have been asked to take Vysov for blood sugar. Can I continue the same?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am 29 years old. My blood sugar levels were FBS 296 and PP 441. So, I consult with doctor and they suggested to take Insulin 14 units in the morning and 8 units at night for 15 days. After 15 days, it reduced to FBS 180 and PP 230. So, they stopped insulin and then they asked to take Vysov M 50/1000 twice a day. After a month I checked my sugar level and it showed FBS 110 and PP 150. They asked to continue same tablet for next three months. My question is can I continue the same dosage? Are there any side effects if I reduce the dose? Please guide.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

• Looking at your present fasting and postprandial (PP) sugar are fairly well controlled. It means the current treatment has been quite helpful.
  • If you have checked your HbA1c% (glycated hemoglobin), then please mention that too. Because, in a well-controlled diabetes HbA1c% will be less than 7. It will tell us about long-term blood sugar control.
  • As regards the safety of Vildagliptin and Metformin, there is absolutely no problem. Both are quite safe and can be taken as long as needed.
  • Along with this, it is essential for you to take a restricted diet and do regular exercise for one hour a day.
  • I am sure you are aware that a person with diabetes should avoid sweets, deep fried foods, junk foods and pastries. Also, avoid sweetened aerated drinks, fructose, corn syrup containing products, red meat and egg yolk.
  • Refrain from alcohol and smoking. In other words adapt a modified lifestyle.

1. Patient should get his eyes examined for ruling out retinal involvement as in diabetes this is one of the common and a serious complication that comes without any symptoms.
2. Plus check HbA1c% every 6 months.

Lipid profile and complete blood count (CBC).

Revert back after the investigations to a diabetologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now