Q. I have been asked to take Vysov for blood sugar. Can I continue the same?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am 29 years old. My blood sugar levels were FBS 296 and PP 441. So, I consult with doctor and they suggested to take Insulin 14 units in the morning and 8 units at night for 15 days. After 15 days, it reduced to FBS 180 and PP 230. So, they stopped insulin and then they asked to take Vysov M 50/1000 twice a day. After a month I checked my sugar level and it showed FBS 110 and PP 150. They asked to continue same tablet for next three months. My question is can I continue the same dosage? Are there any side effects if I reduce the dose? Please guide.

#

• Looking at your present fasting and postprandial (PP) sugar are fairly well controlled. It means the current treatment has been quite helpful.
  • If you have checked your HbA1c% (glycated hemoglobin), then please mention that too. Because, in a well-controlled diabetes HbA1c% will be less than 7. It will tell us about long-term blood sugar control.
  • As regards the safety of Vildagliptin and Metformin, there is absolutely no problem. Both are quite safe and can be taken as long as needed.
  • Along with this, it is essential for you to take a restricted diet and do regular exercise for one hour a day.
  • I am sure you are aware that a person with diabetes should avoid sweets, deep fried foods, junk foods and pastries. Also, avoid sweetened aerated drinks, fructose, corn syrup containing products, red meat and egg yolk.
  • Refrain from alcohol and smoking. In other words adapt a modified lifestyle.

1. Patient should get his eyes examined for ruling out retinal involvement as in diabetes this is one of the common and a serious complication that comes without any symptoms.
2. Plus check HbA1c% every 6 months.

Lipid profile and complete blood count (CBC).

Revert back after the investigations to a diabetologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|