Q. Why is my 2. 9 year old daughter getting recurrent boils?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2021

My daughter is around 2.9 years old. She was fine until four months back. Three months back, she got a small boil near her buttocks, so we went to our pediatrician. The doctor gave some tablets, and the boil got healed well. Again last month, she got another small boil on her buttock, then our doctor told this is due to broken skin. He said that broken skin could give repeated boils. She got another small boil yesterday, which seems to heal with prescribed medicines and gel. But I want a permanent solution for this boils issue. What can be done? So far, she has got four such boils. All the boils were small, and they healed with medicines. Are such recurrent boils normal for kids her age?

#

Repeated skin infection (boil) in a span of four months is a matter of concern.

The first possibility is that of an allergic rash due to an allergy to some substance or a mosquito bite getting infected due to repeated scratching. This needs to be treated by anti-allergic medicines. The possible allergen has to be identified.

Secondly, it can be due to dry skin condition like eczema (atopic dermatitis), which is prone to infections. This needs to be treated by a pediatric dermatologist.

The third possibility is a bacterial infection of the skin, which is responding to antibiotics. The cause of recurrent infection is any low immunity states like anemia, malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, or other rare reduced immunity conditions. These need blood investigations to identify the cause.

It has to be managed by a pediatrician to rule out various causes and a pediatric dermatologist to treat the skin problems. Hence, consult your pediatrician first.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for your valuable answer. She is only having this boils problem other than that. She is a happy girl without any other health issues. So, do you think that it is due to an autoimmune condition? Are the possibilities you mentioned, in the sequence of probability? Are recurring boils seen in other kids also?

#

The possible causes are the first two, but anemia can be a possibility. Please get her examined by a pediatrician and do the required tests. Also, consult a pediatric dermatologist for the skin issue.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|