Q. What are these bumps on my tonsil?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

I have two yellowish tint flesh colored bumps are connected on my tonsil. They form an alphabet "B" if you look at the side of them. They do not hurt and it is smooth with no irritation. I have had allergies and stuffiness for months now. I am really scared of HPV. I am a hypochondriac. I do not know when they showed, but I noticed them recently. I am currently on birth control pills and Claritin. I went to a dentist and he did not think that it is related to HPV. Please give your opinion.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• With the details you have given me your throat seems to be normal. The tonsils are seen very clearly in the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Do you have any other complaint anywhere else?
  • HPV - human papilloma virus generally form papilloma, which is a pedunculated mass (warts). It is generally seen in immunocompromised patients.
  • Medicines you are taking are safe. They have nothing to do with HPV.
  • HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. Do you have a history of any unsafe sexual contact or oral sex?
  • Normally in our throat lymph nodes are scattered throughout. Tonsil is one of them. So, seeing such flesh (masses) can be normal in the throat. It can be some lymph node.
  • If you do not have any other symptoms or warts present anywhere else in body or any other relevant history, then you need not bother.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Do you believe these in any way could be HPV? Could they be a normal one? Or is it a cyst? Can cyst be closer to flesh colored?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• The thing which I see in the picture is not HPV.
  • Cyst with clear fluid can look like a flesh and that can be confirmed only when a doctor examines you in person.
  • According to me, I feel it as normal. Even if it is a small cyst and not causing you any problem, then you can leave it like that.
  • If it is bothering you a lot, then you can meet an ENT specialist personally so that he can do a detailed examination.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have swollen tonsils with fever, body aches and runny nose. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to know what I should do. I have been sick for four days now. I have two swollen tonsils (left side I noticed white spots on it). I have had fevers, body aches, body chills, runny or stuffy nose, vomiting and difficulty breathing.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have provided you seem to be suffering from acute tonsillitis. It is an infection of the tonsils and the pharynx, mostly bacterial looking at the associated symptoms you have. You must take an appropriate antibiotic for the same and in my offic...  Read Full

I got my tonsils removed last year. Now, I have redness on one side. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tonsils removed last year. Now, on one side, I have this red area. It can get inflamed sometimes and every now and then, I get a cyst or ulcer in that area. Why is this area red and not on the other side? Is it due to a lot of blood vessels in one area that used to supply the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The area is congested due to the blood vessels. The opposite area is also congested although not as much as the left. It is called flushing of the anterior pillars. This is chara...  Read Full

What Should I Do For Facial Warts?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting facial warts again and again at the same place. I go for swimming every day. Is it because of that? I have undergone laser treatment twice and it went away with it. Now, again I have the same problem. What should I do? Is there anything that I can apply as I do not want to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Subhash Kashyap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Facial warts occur due to HPV (human papilloma virus) and some people are more susceptible to it due to some complex immunological parameters. They are too notorious to recur and avoid shaving for some time. Also, the probable treatment is electrocautery. Going to...  Read Full