Q. Is burning sensation during urination a sign of UTI?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

I am a 34-year-old male. For the past three days, I am feeling a mild burning sensation after urination. Though it is not constant, it concerns me. There is no pain while urination as such or any health issues but only a mild burning sensation. Sometimes it feels like it is always there and sometimes looks like it is completely gone. Not sure is it a sign of a UTI or anything serious. And I always try to keep hydrated myself during dehydration. It burns even more. Kindly suggest what should I do.

#

I have gone through your query. I would like to know a few more details to answer your question better.

Does the irritation start during urination or after? Have you had any fever? Do you pass urine more frequently in the past few days?

The most important thing to rule out is an infection, which can be easily done with urine analysis. It could also be due to dehydration, where concentrated urine can cause irritation.

If you do not have any other symptoms, it is probably not serious. I would suggest you take plenty of fluids and wait for a couple of days more. If it is due to dehydration, it should subside in a few days with good hydration.

If the symptoms persist or develop additional symptoms like fever, pain during urination, urgency, or increased urination frequency, visit your local physician, or a urologist for a proper clinical examination and evaluation if necessary.

|