Q. Why am I having constant burning pain in stomach?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
Published on Jun 04, 2018

I have been having burning type gnawing pain behind my sternum since last one year. I am on Esomeprazole 40 mg since last six months, which ease my symptoms. Two days ago, my GP advised me to get an upper GI endoscopy. During the endoscopy, they found one small sessile polyp on GE junction and they took a biopsy sample. I am much worried that it may be malignant. Can you describe what this sessile polyp is? How much chance that it may be malignant? Biopsy report is still awaited.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• Do you have any family history of cancer? Single polyp is usually not malignant.
  • I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Does physical examination reveal any lymph node?
  • Overall, I consider the chance of malignancy to be low. Do update me with the biopsy report.

For further information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

I have received my biopsy report, which is attached here. Biopsy report is benign, but does not show the type of this polyp such as hyper plastic, GCT, etc. My doctor advised me for removal of polyp by endoscopy. But, he is not confirmed whether the burning pain is due to polyp. Can you explain why am I having constant burning pain at my GE junction? Also, no other abnormality was shown by the endoscopy other than polyp.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

#

• This is benign. The burning sensation could be due to acid reflux.
  • Try changing your diet to less spicy and small amount at a time. If you are overweight, then reducing weight will also help.
  • I usually suggest Levosulpiride or Itopride for such symptoms. Also, Esomeprazole plus Domstal (Domperidone and Cinnarizine) combination preparation will be helpful. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full »

Should I take Prevacid in the night for GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem ...  Read Full »

Will my gallbladder polyps turn cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my abdominal ultrasound done due to pain while urinating. In the ultrasound, it showed as 'gallbladder polyps'. I checked online and it said it can lead to cancer. I am very scared. I am uploading pictures.  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now