Q. What could be the reason for burning sensation of tongue in a HIV patient?

Dr. Vivek H Nanda
Published on Oct 28, 2019

I would like to know what happens biologically in the body, causing a burning sensation in the tongue when a person has HIV.

Dr. Vivek H Nanda

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

As you very well knew, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) virus lives in a body for a very long time. It causes significant damage to the central and peripheral nervous systems. The virus affects our nervous system and causes dysfunction of nerves and muscle cells.

The burning sensation is a symptom of peripheral nervous system dysfunction or disorder, and it is caused as the nerves that lead to and from the spinal cord and connect with all the various parts of the body are affected by HIV. The nerve root gets exposed, and the person feels burning sensation or numbness, starting with hands, feet, and tongue.

| 

Can burning sensation of throat occur from acid reflux?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old male. I just like to share a problem with you related to my throat. For the last 10 days or so, I am feeling a scratch or burning like sensation behind the uvula. I do not have any problem with eating. The sensation tends to remain silent at night during sleep, but agai...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

Is Bimatoprost helpful in optical nerve damage without cataract?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, is 76 years old, currently suffering from low, blurry vision (both near sight and far sight). Her BP, sugar, and thyroid are normal. A year before, she was critically suffered from urosepsis with AKI, DM II, pleural effusion, etc. but recovered. Though she has the first sta...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now