Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How to treat canker sores with pus in them?

Answered by
Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have a couple of canker sores and two are on my lip and has pus in them and two on the bottom. Can you tell me what to do with them?



Welcome to

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. Canker sores are a characteristic feature of syphilis. This syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease. Purulent pustules are generally seen which burst to form canker sores. You should get yourself tested for the syphilis infection as soon as possible because syphilis should be treated immediately. Otherwise, it can lead to some of the serious complications to the brain, heart, nervous system, etc. However, you do not need to worry as once detected it can be completely eradicated from the body.

I would advise you to have a visit to your nearest dentist and also make an appointment with the general physician for eliminating any other cause for the same. If you were my patient, after detailed drug history, I would have prescribed you antibiotics like Penicillin and topical analgesics (if the pain is in the sores) for the infection elimination. I would also advise you to adhere to not having sex during this period as it can spread through having sex. I would also advise you to have good oral hygiene and brush your teeth twice daily and floss regularly.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?
Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?
My son and I have canker sores. Why do we have them at the same time?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I was misdiagnosed to have syphilis and had treatment. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Before a month, I visited a hospital in my hometown for pain on the penis. They conducted VDRL and TPHA test and said that the test came back as weak positive. So, it is the first stage of syphilis. They prescribed me an injection and some tablets for five days. A...  Read Full »

Will Isotretinoin affect my HIV and syphilis tests?

Query: Hi doctor, I was taking Isotretinoin tablet from four months, and I stopped taking it. I had dry mouth, sores, thick line inside cheeks, some rough patches inside cheeks and lips also. But even after stopping Isotretinoin, I still have these problems. I have a lot of hair loss, nearly 300 to 400 per...  Read Full »

What can I do for canker sores that do not go away for two weeks?

Query: Hello doctor,What can I do for canker sores that keep multiplying and have been there for about two weeks?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.