Q. I am suffering from low-grade lower back pain for two months. Please review my X-ray.

Dr. Lokesh

I am a 56-year-old male. I am suffering from low-grade lower back pain for a couple of months already. It is not noticeable in the day but is so uncomfortable when I lie down and cause sleepless nights for me. The lower back pain was present before eight months, and I had it examined. Consulted a neurologist and was given medicines for pain and tablet Pregabalin, which caused slouchy feeling at day time but there is still pain. At night when I lie down, I started to feel uncomfortable lying on the bed, so I sleep on a chair that I can recline. The low-grade pain makes me frequently urinate at night, which disturbs my sleep. I had a pain reliever tablet Dolcet. I have kidney stone problems (cleared already), but I often cannot take a pain reliever. I have an enlarged prostate but was smaller in size in my last ultrasound. I assumed that the bloated feeling and the back pain were due to my kidney and prostate, but all these were fixed, and the back pain is still here. I have an X-ray and would like to show you. Thank you.

#

Good day, I have seen your X-ray image (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

From the clinical history and the X-ray, it seems like you have muscle spasms, which itself can be due to chronic nerve compression or irritation, most likely due to a disc bulge.

Since you have this for a year, I would strongly recommend you to get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan to look at the discs in your back and the possible nerve compression causing the pain.

You are taking the proper medication as prescribed. However, you also need to take precautions and do physiotherapy with back extension strengthening exercises.

1) Avoid lifting heavyweights.

2) Avoid arching your back. Instead, bend your knees to pick something from the floor.

3) Avoid sitting for long hours.

4) Avoid two-wheeler rides.

5) Improve your posture while sitting.

6) Try to get up from your chair every 20 minutes and take a quick walk around and then continue working. Always sit on a chair with back support.

7) Do not get up suddenly from a sleeping position; instead, turn to the side and then get up.

8) Take bed rest if there is severe pain.

9) Do hot fomentations locally over the affected area atleast twice daily.

Let me know once your MRI scan is done.

MRI scan.

Disc bulge in the lower lumbar spine.

Precautions with physiotherapy.

After taking an MRI scan.

|