Q. I have chlamydia infection and had unprotected sex with my partner. Will my partner get affected?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

I have been in a monogamous relationship with my wife for over 4 years. Recently we both had to get screened for a medical procedure she is doing in a month. I tested positive for Chlamydia, she did not. We both re-tested to make sure there were not false positive/negatives. Results came back the same. We had unprotected sex as little as a week before the tests. Prior to my wife, I had 2-3 sexual partners that could have passed the disease to me, but if this were the case ,wouldn't my wife almost certainly have it too? I have learned it can sit dormant, but would still be transmittable? I have never showed any symptoms. These tests have nearly ruined our marriage since all the doctors and her friends have basically said that infidelity is the only explanation. Knowing that I have been true to my partner, it set me down this path of searching for answers. I have found some vague research indicating Chlamydia Like Organisms can be contracted from ticks. I haven't had tick bites recently, but definitely have in the past 4 years. Could something like this induce a positive test result, but not get transferred to my partner? Or are there other explanations?

# Dear Greg,

I hope that I can clarify the situation:

Chlamydia types D to K cause urogenital infections. The signs of Chlamydia-infected urinary and genital organs in men usually affect the urethra: it becomes inflamed (urethritis). The patient feels a feeling of pressure and a painful burning sensation when urinating. Chlamydia may also cause an outflow of pus from the urethra. The germs can move up to the prostate gland as well as to the testicles and epididymis: An inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis), testicles (orchitis) or epididymitis may develop. Pain and infertility (sterility) are possible consequences in these cases.

However, many infected men do not show any symptoms of Chlamydia at all. This is known as an asymptomatic infection which can persist for years and decades. Nevertheless, also these patients must be treated with antibiotics to avoid the infection to become symptomatic in the future and to protect sex partners.

I truly hope this explanation is of help.

Asymptomatic chlamydia infection

./.

./.

Asymptomatic chlamydia infection in a male patient.

*Eradication of the infection with a suitable oral antibiotic. To be prescribed by the patient’s familiy doctor/GP or urologist.
*Re-test after treatment to control the therapy success

*Protected sex until the end of antibiotic therapy.
*Explaining to those who don’t read medical textbooks properly that many cases of chlamydia in men remain asymptomatic for a very long time, sometimes even indefinitely.

| 

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

Can taking Levofloxacin for prostatitis cause permanent muscular and CNS effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old male. I have been complaining of symptoms of prostatitis for seven years with LUTS, fatigue, and pain as the main symptoms. The EPS shows more than 10 WBC per HPF and urine and prostatic cultures are negative. Semen culture was done twice in the last six months with th...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»