Q. I have swelling in the circumcised area for the past one year. Kindly help.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

I have a circumcision swelling present for one year. I have seen three urologists, and all have said there is still swelling, and they are not sure why it has not gone away. This past couple of days, the swelling and redness have increased.

The head and inner skin get easily irritated and dry. Also, my penis tip is still swollen. I have done a series of blood test and my physicians have told me all are normal (CBC, thyroid, autoimmune disorders, inflammation, urine, etc.). I need some help on why the swelling is not going down and pulling on my head.

Also, I have seen two dermatologists and have no idea why this is still happening. To add, I have not had sex for a year or even masturbate once. I have attached a series of photos and included the dates.

#

I have gone through your history and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It would have been easy to assess the condition if I get the photograph of the foreskin before surgery. If you have the histopathology report of the excised foreskin, please upload the same. This will describe your genital skin condition.

I agree with you that there is redundant skin, which is slightly edematous. Your skin appears to be dry, and the coconut oil is not going to help it. Sex is not contraindicated, and you can have sex using paraben-free lubricants, namely Stay silky serum or Generous gel. Generous gel can be used as a soothening agent for your skin if applied twice a day.

Please get back to me after six weeks and upload the histopathology report of excised foreskin.

I spoke to my dermatologist. She is saying this is not a skin condition. Rheumatologist said this has nothing related, and my blood tests were normal. I was not able to get the biopsy results since the dermatologist said there is nothing. I am attaching the photos on how it looked before the surgery and two months after surgery. There is edema and need to know why it is not going away. My night erections have started to hurt recently and have a tight feeling. What is also shocking was the swollen tip area has not changed for nine months. If this keeps staying like this, it will go worse. I used all moisturizers and did not seem to address the dry skin.

#

The statement that there was nothing in biopsy is not enough. Because biopsy gives information regarding skin structure, level of keratinization, etc. Hence the absence of the report is a handicap here. However, clinical examination per se gives some clues. At present, I suggest you stop all the local treatments like creams, moisturizers, etc. and wait for four weeks as new skin layers grow over four weeks. In the meantime, if you develop any new symptoms, within four weeks, please get back to me.

| 

I developed itchy and dry skin after dyeing hair in salon. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about my skin condition. I have developed a really itchy and dry skin after I dyed my hair. Here are the symptoms. I do not know what the condition is as my appointment is months away. Can I attach pictures?  Read Full »

Why does my penis get swollen after masturbation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male, unmarried and had no physical relationship yet. Earlier, I have got circumcision. Now swelling of penis head is present. The swelling is more prominent on the left side but difference can be seen on all sides. I believe this happened two weeks ago, but I notic...  Read Full »

Why does my foreskin not coming down completely?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I am a male. Though I have been having healthy masturbation since past 15 years or more, the head of my penis is visible only a little bit and the foreskin not fully comes down. Will that situation hamper my married life? Having sex with a condom is possible right? ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Surgeon Now