Q. I have a cold, cough, runny nose with yellowish secretion. What should I do now?

Dr. Rajendran R Nayar

I am suffering from a cold, occasional cough, sneezes, and runny nose with clear white to yellowish secretions for the past four days. I do not have fever or body pain. I am currently taking tablets Cetirizine and Decolgen Forte.

Kindly help.

#

I understand you have had nasal discharge and mild cough for four days, and you are currently on decongestant and antiallergic medications. You appear to be having a viral illness. If the nasal secretions are yellowish all the time, you probably have a secondary bacterial infection. Your current medications, along with a decongestant nasal spray and vitamin C will be helpful.

Meanwhile, I would request you to get a COVID-19 test (Coronavirus Disease-2019) done.

I suggest you be well hydrated, have a healthy diet, and take good rest.

If you keep getting similar symptoms more frequently, you must be treated for allergic rhinitis with antiallergic, a steroid nasal spray, and antihistamines.

I hope I have answered your query.

Take care and regards.

|