Q. Does high serum creatinine indicate abnormal kidney function?

Published on Mar 08, 2019

I am 36 years old male. Weight 67 kg, height 5'5". My serum creatinine is 1.2 mg/dl and urea is 20 mg/dl. My hemoglobin is 14.5 gm/dl. Vitamin D is 20.2 ng/ml. HbA1c is 6 %. I want to know whether my kidney function is normal on the basis of my blood reports. Please suggest.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

To help you better, I need to know your blood pressure, any ultrasound report, if done. Revert back with the asked details for better help.

Findings of whole abdomen ultrasound are within normal parameters. My blood pressure is 130/76.

#

Hi.

In that case, you do not have any kidney disease. It is that your serum creatinine is on the higher side. You just need to take care of your weight, blood pressure and blood sugars. All these three should not increase. Avoid any pain-killers and avoid taking medicines over-the-counter. Check KFT and urine routine after three months.

Another thing I want to know. My house physician has prescribed the following medicines for me. Vitamin D3 60000 IU once a week for eight weeks as my vitamin D is 20 ng/ml and Omega 3 tablet (EPA 180 mg and DHA 120 mg) once daily as my ancestors have a history of high blood pressure and cardiac problem. Whether this medication is safe and required for me? Please suggest.

#

Yes, you can take these medications. These are simply Vitamin supplements. Usually, there is no harm in taking them for a specified period like for three months but yes excess of everything is bad. If you have a family history of high blood pressure, you just need to be sure to do the morning walk and keep your blood pressure monitored regularly.

Can I take any medicine to lose weight fast?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 37 years old. I have gained a lot of weight of late and my weight is 101 kg at 5 feet and 7 inches. I got all the tests done and I have a fatty liver and am pre-diabetic. Can I take Metformin for weight loss and diabetes? Can it help me in reducing the fatty liver? Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are worried about your weight gain and being prediabetic. Remember, Metformin is a prescription drug, and it is your physician who can decide if it is needed for you or not. Metformin can be prescribed to prevent diabetes (type II diabetes onset) if pr...  Read Full

Kidney Stones: Causes, Management and Prevention

Article Overview: One in every 20 people develop kidney stones at some point in their life. Here is an article to know about kidney stones, its management and prevention. Read Article

Dr. Revathi Sundaramurthy

What is a Kidney Stone? Kidney stones (renal calculi) are hard mineral deposits like calcium, oxalate and phosphorus that form inside the kidneys. They vary in size. A minute stone may pass on its own, causing little or no pain, while stones more than 3mm of size gets stuck in ureters and block the...  Read Article

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your pulse rate is high. Please do a free T4, T3, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test. For your BP (blood pressure), you can take Met XL (Metoprolol) 50 one tablet, once daily at around 8 AM and tablet Stamlo (Amlodipine) 5 one tablet at around 5 PM. You...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now