Q. My period is delayed by nine days after taking I-pill. When will my periods occur naturally?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on May 23, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

Hi mam,

I had sex the very next day after my periods ended. I took I-pills and my periods are late. They were supposed to come before nine days. I took up yesterday and today, but both the tests are negative. Should I do a UPT again after a week? When will my periods come naturally? Are there any chances to miss periods? Is the UPT showing wrong results? Do I need to test my blood for hCG? How long should I wait before going to a doctor?

Can you please answer my questions?

#

I understand your concern. These are the answers to your queries:

1) No, you do not need a UPT (urine pregnancy test) again. Your period is delayed because of the I-pill (Levonorgestrel) you took for contraception (it is a side effect).

2) Usually, periods get delay by up to 15 days in women taking I-pill. So if your periods have to occur, they will occur within 15 days of your period date.

3) Chances of a missed period in women after I-pill is very high. So do not worry.

4) The chances of two UPTs showing the wrong result is almost not possible.

5) You do not require a blood hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) level.

6) You do not need a gynecologist consultation immediately.

Just relax if your period does not come in a short time. Then, consult and start with tablet Progesterone to cause your periods.

|