Q. My period is delayed this month. Can hypothyroidism be the cause?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

I am a 21-year-old female. I have hypothyroid for the past one and a half years, and currently on 25 mg Thyronorm. Things have been normal, but my period has been delayed this time, it is exactly 46 days since my last one. I feel tired most part of the day, and currently, due to lockdowns, I could not exercise much. Can you please suggest some nutrition and about what can I do to get my period and if my doubt is correct thyroid levels must have been increased. But I cannot take a test right now. Last time, when I checked before one year the amount of TSH was near normal (2.1).

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Do you have any other associated symptoms like painful menstruation? Do you have headaches? For how long this problem is going on? Do you feel you bleed more or is it usual? There are many causes of irregular menses. Any mental stress can cause even your having exams or any other stress-related activity can affect the regularity. There are hormonal disturbances that can lead to menses irregularities. Levothyroxine dose (25 mcg) is very low. If you cannot do your blood tests I think you can increase it to 50 mcg and try to check TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) in six weeks hopefully until then labs will be open.

Regarding nutrition, you need to eat a low carbohydrate diet without any sugary juices or added sugars in any way. Take a good sleep of seven to eight hours. Drink plenty of water at least two to three liters. If you practice intermittent fasting, it will give your health a great boost.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

I never had painful menstruation and bleeding is normal. It is like 4-6 days maximum, and I got my last period on March 24, but before that, it was normal 28-30 days cycle. But apart from this, I am getting headaches often now and there might be stress because of exams, as I am a civil service aspirant, and I cook my meals on my own. Can you suggest me any particular food that boosts up thyroid and regulate menstrual flow quicker, it feels really uncomfortable.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Menses irregularities will improve once you start increasing the dose and try to relax with meditation and mindfulness like taking deep breaths. Sit comfortably with your back straight. Put one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. Breathe in through your nose. The hand on your stomach should rise. The hand on your chest should move very little. Exhale through your mouth, pushing out as much air as you can while contracting your abdominal muscles. The hand on your stomach should move in as you exhale, but your other hand should move very little.

Continue to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Try to inhale enough so that your lower abdomen rises and falls. Count slowly as you exhale. If you find it difficult breathing from your abdomen while sitting up, try lying down. Put a small book on your stomach, and breathe so that the book rises as you inhale and falls as you exhale.

Regarding diet, I already discussed about low carbohydrate diet and intermittent fasting will have lots of benefits.

| 

My PCOS is curing with ayurvedic medications. Please suggest what else can be done.

Query: Hello doctor, Three months back, I consulted for severe PCOS. I started with the medicines you prescribed me. I feel a lot better now. My menstrual cycle has started coming every month with the help of the medicines you prescribed. I am more than good that I have ever felt in the last six years. Em...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now