Q. My platelets count is decreasing. And I am having fever from last 6 days with continuous headache.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
Published on Jul 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi Doctor, I am having fever since last 6 days with continuous headache. I am taking Paracetamol on regular intervals, but my fever temperature is not decreasing from 100 degree, sometimes it reaches to 103 degree as well. Because of the fever my appetite is also reducing day by day. I got it checked from doctor and she suggested me to get some blood tests done. On 8th October my Leucocytes count was 4200 (Normal Range- 4000-11000 cu.mm) and my Platelets count was 1.85 (Normal Range - 1.5-4.5 Lakh/cu.mm) but on 11th October my Leucocytes count decreased to 388 from 4200 and platelet count 1.42 from 1.85. Then I had the other readings as follows:

Dengue Antibody IGM - Not Detected. Dengue Antibody lgG- Not Detected. Dengue NS1 Antigen - Negative. Malaria Parasite/Blood Parasite Identification - No MP seen in smears examined. Then I had Complete Blood Count (CBC) Test. The report says: RBC Count is showing low - Current is 4.24 (Normal - 4.50-5.50). MCH is showing High - 33.70 (Normal - 27.00-32.00). MCHC is showing high - 35.80 (Normal - 32.00-35.00). Red Cell Distribution Width is high- 15.20 (Normal - 11.50-14.50).

Differential Leukocyte Count (DLC): Eosinophils is showing NIL-0.00 (Normal 1.00-6.00). Absolute Leukocyte count: Eosinophils is showing NIL - 0.00 (Normal 0.02-0.50). It has been 6 days now and I am still having the fever.

Kindly suggest what could be the reason and please help me know if I have dengue?

Why is my platelets count decreasing?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

• Platelet count decreases in many other infections also, not only in dengue.
  • If your fever temperature is not getting down with Paracetamol, then it means you had taken a very low dosage and many times it is not able to lower the temperature.
  • You can take tablet Diclomol to lower down the temperature, you can take it for every 8 hours.
  • You also take tablet Razo (Rabeprazole) 20 mg twice a day to prevent acidity.
  • You need to take antibiotic also, you can take tablet Zifi-O twice a day for 7 days.
  • Repeat your CBC (Complete Blood Count) after 3 days, also get your Typhidot Test after 3 days (Typhoid test does not come positive in the first week).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask a doctor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

Tests for dengue are negative, then why is the platelet count low?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm re...  Read Full »