Q. I have swelling and pain five hours after a temporary filling. What to take?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Jan 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

I got a temporary filling in my tooth today. But there was swelling and pain after five hours.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I can understand you are worried about pain and discomfort in your tooth. After dental procedures like filling a root canal, infection and pain are not so uncommon. Many dentists give pain medications and antibiotics before discharging the patient (after the procedure). I would recommend you to consult back your dentist for these medications as he knows your case better.

Also, you need a prescription for taking these medications from a pharmacy. For pain though, you may take over the counter painkillers like Ibuprofen or Tylenol after the meals. But this is not a permanent solution as we do not know at this point if there is an infection in the tooth root. Hope it helps. You may add follow up query here if you have more questions. I would be happy to assist.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My teeth still pain after a fluoride varnish. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?  Read Full »

Root Canal Treatment

Article Overview: Root Canal Treatment is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extending beyond the apex of the root of the tooth, infecting the surrounding peri-radicular tissues, and also in some other cases. Read Article

The most common complaint that the patients come up with to a dentist is toothache and the frequently heard term by them is root canal treatment. It is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extend...  Read Article

What treatment will help sensitive tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having sensitivity in the upper right tooth. There is no ditch or cavity but I feel the sensitivity while eating sweets. What could be the treatment option for it?  Read Full »