Q. I am wearing a retainer and it has a crack in it. What should I do?

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 17, 2019

I got braces almost three years ago, and I ended up with a perfect smile. I wore my retainer nearly every night, but on an occasion where I forgot to wear it, it would be painful the night after and felt like the teeth had moved. Fast forward to now, I have still been wearing my retainer, and found that whenever I forgot to wear it for more than two days, the teeth would move (almost noticeably), and when I used the retainer the teeth would go back to normal. Recently, I found a large crack in my retainer and found that even after wearing it for a few nights, two of my teeth are slightly out of place. I understand that I need a new retainer, however, if they were to make impressions of my teeth now, the retainer would keep the two shifted teeth permanently shifted. Is there a way to clone a retainer? So that my teeth would go back to being perfect using the original impression, rather than an impression of my shifted teeth.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist
#

The first thing is to go to the clinician and get examined. Ask for the repair of the old retainer to the maximum detailing possible until it could correct the two teeth. Meanwhile, impressions for your new retainer could be taken and fabricated. New retainers could be adjusted to retain the treatment undergone earlier and could bring back minor movements to the original position, which you are worried about. If possible, ask the clinician for permanents fixed palatal or lingual retainers at a later date after satisfactory correction if the minor movement is required for the present situation.

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full »

Homeopathic Medicines for Halitosis (Bad Breath)

Article Overview: Halitosis or bad breath is a mouth condition, where the patient complains of unpleasant smell from the oral cavity. It may be related to both systemic and oral conditions. About 85 % of cases belong to oral conditions like poor oral hygiene, certain foods, dentures, dry mouth, tobacco products, and medical conditions. Read Article

Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

An unpleasant smell from the mouth or bad breath is called halitosis, which is caused by eating certain food, dry mouth, poor oral hygiene, alcohol or tobacco use, or by some chronic medical conditions. What Are the Risk Factors and Causes for Halitosis? 1. Food like garlic, spicy foods, cheese, f...  Read Article

One of my middle tooth is out of line from the rest of the teeth. Should I consult an orthodontist?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my braces off a few days ago, and I have been wearing my top retainer faithfully. I got a fixed retainer on the bottom front teeth, but they are only glued on by the two ends, not on each tooth. I noticed recently that one of the middle tooth is out of line from the rest, bu...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now