Q. Why do I feel sad and hopeless with loss of appetite?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 04, 2019

I have felt very sad a lot of the time for the past year and a half. This has been accompanied by feeling hopeless, very low self esteem, feeling unloved and like a burden and occasional mild suicidal thoughts (although I would never act on them), being very sensitive to rejection and isolating myself. Before all of this I used to be very hungry in the mornings and now I have zero appetite during the mornings. Lately, I have had barely an appetite at all. Since five months back I am having trouble in sleeping. These feelings of sadness, worthlessness, etc., tend to worsen at night as well. What is wrong with me?

#

The negative thoughts which are making you feel this way are due to depression. They are not valid thoughts, they occur due to chemical imbalance in the brain called serotonin. This is how depression works. I would suggest you to meet a psychiatrist as soon as possible and start medications. Also, I would suggest you to start counseling sessions to help you with your negative thought patterns and help you with breaking the cycle of negativity.

|