Q. Why do I feel sad and hopeless with loss of appetite?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Published on Oct 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 04, 2019

I have felt very sad a lot of the time for the past year and a half. This has been accompanied by feeling hopeless, very low self esteem, feeling unloved and like a burden and occasional mild suicidal thoughts (although I would never act on them), being very sensitive to rejection and isolating myself. Before all of this I used to be very hungry in the mornings and now I have zero appetite during the mornings. Lately, I have had barely an appetite at all. Since five months back I am having trouble in sleeping. These feelings of sadness, worthlessness, etc., tend to worsen at night as well. What is wrong with me?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

The negative thoughts which are making you feel this way are due to depression. They are not valid thoughts, they occur due to chemical imbalance in the brain called serotonin. This is how depression works. I would suggest you to meet a psychiatrist as soon as possible and start medications. Also, I would suggest you to start counseling sessions to help you with your negative thought patterns and help you with breaking the cycle of negativity.

Are crying without reason, feeling useless and demotivated related to depression?

Query: Hello doctor, Do I have depression? I need to know because I think it will be a whole lot easier if I know and admit it myself. Last night I was crying without reason, it has been like this for five years now. I can go on not going out of my room for a week without eating and every time I worry too...  Read Full »

How can I reduce my depression?

Query: Hi doctor, When I wake up from my sleep, I feel empty. I am not willing to do my work. I neglect my study. I always stay alone in my room. I am feeling lonely. I got a breakup. After having a breakup, my depression got worse. I am crying every day for around seven months. I am unable to focus anymo...  Read Full »

Can depression be a cause for weight loss?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from gastric problem for the last one and a half month. I lost 4 kg due to depression. I did my whole body checkup and all the reports are clear. But, I am having pain in my right hand muscle as well as have body pain. Is it due to depression? I studied about leukemia on i...  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now