Q. I am 56 years old diabetic patient. Please guide me to control my glucose level.

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

I am a 56-year-old male and I am diabetic for the past 11 years. I am working as an official in the coal mining industry. My glucose level is 180 mg/dL in fasting, and postprandial varies typically between 190 to 250 mg/dL. I usually take tablet Ajaduo 10 mg/5 mg daily in the morning, tablet Glimepiride 2 mg one before lunch and dinner, and tablet Metformin 1000 mg one after lunch and dinner. Please guide me to control my glucose level.

#

I have gone through your query. As recommended by ADA (American diabetes association), in an otherwise healthy diabetic patient, the target blood sugars are 80 to 130 mg/dL in FBS (fasting blood sugar. It should be less than 180 mg/dL for PLBS (post-prandial blood sugar).

As your blood sugar is above this range, modification in treatment is required. The treatment of diabetes is multifaceted. Diet and exercise form an essential component of it. As you are diabetic for almost ten years, I assume that you are following these precautions. If not, then I would advise you to follow a proper diet or exercise or weight-reduction plan and then see improvement over the next one to two months.

Also, as blood sugar impacts eyes and kidneys, I advice you to have your eyes checked yearly once and have urine tested periodically for Microalbumin. Also, keep a watch on blood pressure, as in people with diabetes, it is commonly present.

Medication dosages for tablet Metformin and tablet Glimeperide are at maximum, so we will need to modify the tablet Ajaduo 10 mg/5 mg (Empagliflozin 10 mg and Linagliptin 5 mg). However, the dose depends on renal functions, so I would like to see your blood tests before advising any modification. Also, if your blood pressure is high, drugs need to be adjusted accordingly.

I would be happy to help you further if you have any other questions.

|