Q. I am a diabetic. Help me control my blood sugar.

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2019

I am a diabetic patient and under insulinfor the past 5 years. So, please help me to control it. I recently did a medical checkup. I have attached my reports here. I want you to suggest yoga remedies as well as home remedies (I am a pure vegetarian).

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail, and my observations are:

Your blood sugar level is much higher than normal. This can be seen from the HbA1c and average blood glucose values. It is important for you to get back to your doctor and start insulin on a sliding scale. You are a young person, and if you do not control from now, then there might be serious complications after 15 to 20 years.

Blood counts and homocysteine are almost normal.

1. Iron is in the lower limit of normal, so you can include more green vegetables in the diet and also take iron supplements.
  2. Kidney function test is normal. Serum creatinine and uric acid are slightly below normal, and this is not a problem.
  3. Cholesterol levels are normal, and this is not a concern.
  4. In liver function tests, alkaline phosphatase is slightly elevated that might be due to diabetes. In the case of controlled diabetes, this will also come down to normal.
  5. Diabetes can be controlled with a proper diet and by taking insulin on time.
  6. Thyroid function test shows normal T3 and T4, both are in mid-range. TSH is slightly elevated, and therefore this is also not a problem.

Please do yoga or physical exercise for 30 minutes daily and maintain your body weight in the normal range.

I hope your query been answered.

|