Q. I am a diabetic. Help me control my blood sugar.

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2019

I am a diabetic patient and under insulinfor the past 5 years. So, please help me to control it. I recently did a medical checkup. I have attached my reports here. I want you to suggest yoga remedies as well as home remedies (I am a pure vegetarian).

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) in detail, and my observations are:

Your blood sugar level is much higher than normal. This can be seen from the HbA1c and average blood glucose values. It is important for you to get back to your doctor and start insulin on a sliding scale. You are a young person, and if you do not control from now, then there might be serious complications after 15 to 20 years.

Blood counts and homocysteine are almost normal.

1. Iron is in the lower limit of normal, so you can include more green vegetables in the diet and also take iron supplements.
  2. Kidney function test is normal. Serum creatinine and uric acid are slightly below normal, and this is not a problem.
  3. Cholesterol levels are normal, and this is not a concern.
  4. In liver function tests, alkaline phosphatase is slightly elevated that might be due to diabetes. In the case of controlled diabetes, this will also come down to normal.
  5. Diabetes can be controlled with a proper diet and by taking insulin on time.
  6. Thyroid function test shows normal T3 and T4, both are in mid-range. TSH is slightly elevated, and therefore this is also not a problem.

Please do yoga or physical exercise for 30 minutes daily and maintain your body weight in the normal range.

I hope your query been answered.

Related Video

How to Stay Healthy with Diabetes?

Article Overview: Diabetes affects most of the population. It is a must to make people aware that they stay fit and healthy with diabetes. Here, I have explained the friendly foods and also the foods to be avoided in diabetics, to stay healthy. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Diabetologist

Diabetes is a metabolic disease that results in too much sugar level in blood or high blood glucose level. Diabetes would be controlled by some precautions in the diet along with the medication. Diabetic Diet: The most important thing in diabetes regarding diet is that a diabetic person shoul...  Read Article

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

How to manage diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is suffering from diabetes. His blood sugar values are around 350-470 in the report. Earlier, he never had such a problem. Please provide some solution and help us to get it cured.  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now