Q. Once we start dialysis is it a must to get that all through the life?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

My father is 59 years old and suffering from diabetes for the last 15 years within control limit of sugar. Recently, he got attach with a brain hemorrhage on the right side, and he stopped to talk and his right side hand and leg become inactive. Slowly with medication and physiotherapy exercise, he recovered somewhat and able to speak. He can walk with rod support and his hand is still inactive. His creatine level in blood keeps on the higher side from 5.0 to up to 8.0.

In the last few days, he started vomiting and unable to digest any foods. Doctor advised for immediate dialysis and is undergoing the procedure. Within a week's time, this is the second time he is going with the procedure. The first time it lasts for one and a half hours, and for the second time it lasts for three hours. While discussing with the fellow patient taking the procedure, they said this is a regular procedure and may require on a daily basis also.

My query regarding dialysis is if once we opted is it a regular procedure? Please clarify the doubt.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

No, this is not a permanent procedure for every patient. It depends on the status of kidney functions and roughly we can predict from creatinine levels (just to make it clear to you). If he gets creatinine levels of 0.2-1.2 mg/dL and the kidneys will be doing normal functions, then we can stop doing dialysis as kidneys are now doing their job by themselves.

Dialysis is alternative kidneys actually. The job which kidneys do normally, dialysis does the same for the time being until the patient gets normal kidney functions back.

| 

My father has a brain hemorrhage. What treatment would you suggest?

Query: Hello doctor,My father has a brain hemorrhage. He has multiple blood clots. I am attaching the CT scan reports. Please have a look.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

My father has got brain hemorrhage. Is he out of danger now?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 58 years old, has got brain hemorrhage before eight days. He was immediately hospitalized, and till today he is in CCU. He has some body movement, but he is in the unconscious state. He cannot open his eyes, cannot talk and does not have any mouth moment. He can breathe ...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now