Q. 3-year-old son has diarrhea for a week. Is this something serious?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

My 3-year-old son had diarrhea for a week. He has thrown up a couple of times throughout the week as well. He was eating and drinking normally and has appetite. There does not seem to be any blood in the stool. And his belly ache goes away after each diarrhea episode which he has many each day. He is usually drinking as well. His doctors seem to believe that it is a viral infection and will go away in time. We just started a bland diet for him. Should I be overly worried? He is active and wants to eat and drink. So is this something more serious than we think or am I too worried?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

If there is no blood in stools, it is mostly viral. It usually gets settle in five days. Important here is maintaining hydration. Make sure you give him plenty of fluid, ORS (oral rehydration solution). If he is vomiting, you can ask your doctor to prescribe Ondansetron. Give him probiotics and keep a watch on urine output. If he is passing adequate urine, then there is no point of worry.

| 

We are giving him a probiotic as well. His urine output is fine. This is the day the sixth of diarrhea.

#

I suppose you shall wait for two days more. If you are not relieved get a stool test done.

| 

He had a better day today. One bout of diarrhea at noon then a small loose but less watery stool at after some time and nothing since. He has had lots of starchy food today. Some bread, pancakes and some white meat chicken and plenty of water.

#

I suppose he would recover in the next two to three days.

| 

What homeopathic medicine can be used for frequent throat and viral infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 5 years 5 months old son who weighs 21 kg. He has frequent bouts of throat and viral infection accompanied by a runny nose. I give him two to three tablets of Bakson's flu aid and sometimes 10 to 15 drops of R6 of homeopathic medicine. Is it the right dose of treatment? What is...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »