Q. 3-year-old son has diarrhea for a week. Is this something serious?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My 3-year-old son had diarrhea for a week. He has thrown up a couple of times throughout the week as well. He was eating and drinking normally and has appetite. There does not seem to be any blood in the stool. And his belly ache goes away after each diarrhea episode which he has many each day. He is usually drinking as well. His doctors seem to believe that it is a viral infection and will go away in time. We just started a bland diet for him. Should I be overly worried? He is active and wants to eat and drink. So is this something more serious than we think or am I too worried?

Do you have a question on Diarrhea or Viral Infection?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE
Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology

If there is no blood in stools, it is mostly viral. It usually gets settle in five days. Important here is maintaining hydration. Make sure you give him plenty of fluid, ORS (oral rehydration solution). If he is vomiting, you can ask your doctor to prescribe Ondansetron. Give him probiotics and keep a watch on urine output. If he is passing adequate urine, then there is no point of worry.

We are giving him a probiotic as well. His urine output is fine. This is the day the sixth of diarrhea.

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE

I suppose you shall wait for two days more. If you are not relieved get a stool test done.

He had a better day today. One bout of diarrhea at noon then a small loose but less watery stool at after some time and nothing since. He has had lots of starchy food today. Some bread, pancakes and some white meat chicken and plenty of water.

M.B.B.S., M.D. MEDICINE

I suppose he would recover in the next two to three days.

Also Read Answers From: Diarrhea Viral Infection

What homeopathic medicine can be used for frequent throat and viral infection?
Query: Hello doctor, I have 5 years 5 months old son who weighs 21 kg. He has frequent bouts of throat and viral infection accompanied by a runny nose. I give him two to three tablets of Bakson's flu aid and sometimes 10 to 15 drops of R6 of homeopathic medicine. Is it the right dose of treatment? What is...  Read Full »
Dr. Potnuru Srinivaasa Sudhakar
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normal weight at 5 years 5 months should be 15 kg, but your baby has more than normal weight. You are using some combinations of medicines, which are not a true homeopathic treatment. Whether your baby is sensitive to cold? Sweating is normal or not? Which part of t...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?
Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you have an upper respiratory tract infection. You need to do the following investigations. Physical examination. Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Throat swab for culture or ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer. If auscultation is suspicious, ...  Read Full »

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history fits into the acid peptic disease. I do not find any sign of cancer over here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would recommend you the following. A combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once daily for a few days. A good probiotic, t...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now