Q. Please explain the reason for my stiff neck from the MRI.

Dr. Chitrangada
Published on Mar 19, 2018

I woke up two months ago with a very stiff neck that has not fully gone back to normal. Now, I have a weak right arm, shoulder-neck pain, headache, and cracking neck. MRI of the cervical spine has been done.

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have disc bulges at C5 to C6 and C6 to C7 which are paracentral, not much nerve compression is going to be there. So, the pain you are referring to can be due to muscle spasm, or it can be due to annular tear in these two disc spaces.

Muscle weakness can be due to muscle spasm affecting the right side. These symptoms should be transient, and you should recover well with medicines like muscle relaxants and painkillers which can take a week.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

I am suffering from extreme muscle weakness.What may be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 25 years. My height is 5'10" and I weight 78 kg. I am suffering from muscle twitches and extreme muscle weakness and muscle pain from last one month. I went to a neurologist and he says reflexes are normal and asked me not to worry and he put me on tablet Remylin-D. I am curr...  Read Full »

What is the right treatment for mild diffuse disc bulge in L4-L5?

Query: Dear doctor,My mother has been experiencing little back pain for more than three years. So, she has been consulting some neurosurgeons for some time but no major problem has been detected by them. Recently, the pain has increased a lot. She had consulted a nearby orthopedic surgeon. He has taken an ...  Read Full »

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »

Ask a Radiologist Now