Q. Please explain the reason for my stiff neck from the MRI.

Dr. Chitrangada

I woke up two months ago with a very stiff neck that has not fully gone back to normal. Now, I have a weak right arm, shoulder-neck pain, headache, and cracking neck. MRI of the cervical spine has been done.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have disc bulges at C5 to C6 and C6 to C7 which are paracentral, not much nerve compression is going to be there. So, the pain you are referring to can be due to muscle spasm, or it can be due to annular tear in these two disc spaces.

Muscle weakness can be due to muscle spasm affecting the right side. These symptoms should be transient, and you should recover well with medicines like muscle relaxants and painkillers which can take a week.

For more information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|