Q. Is there a chance of HIV transmission through contaminated waxes used in parlor?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 08, 2019

I went to a parlor for upper lip and chin waxing. I am scared if the wax was contaminated by a person before me and if he or she bled and had an infection like HIV. The person double dipped, and I do not know that on how many people the wax was used? And what issues they might have had?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

You are right. You have every reason to think and fear about the procedure. But the fact is, HIV cannot survive in the outside environment and cannot transmitted in this way. But what you have to fear for is HBV (hepatitis B virus) because HBV can live and infect for one month in the outside world. HIV can only survive for two minutes maximum, and after eight seconds, it loses their infective capacity. So, regarding HIV infection, you are safe.

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

What causes the entire body to itch during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am pregnant, and my entire body is itching. What could be the reason? Please help.  Read Full »

What are the possibilities of transmitting HIV through hand cuts?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask is it possible for me to transmit HIV through hand cut, (I have attached a picture) because I had anxiety when shaking hands. I am almost certainly HIV negative according to tests, but still anxious. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now