Q. I have violet rashes all over my body for the past three days. Is this due to antibiotic allergy?

Dr. Snehal Laul

I have rashes all over the body for the past five days. And the rashes are almost violet. I went to the doctor, and they find that my rashes are due to my antibiotic intake. Kindly help.

#

Is there itching or excessive scratching and rubbing of the lesion? Did you have any similar episodes in the past? Any known drug reaction or fixed drug eruptions? Do you have a fever, viral exanthem, or painful lesions? Do you experience any systemic symptoms? Please reply.

Yes, it is very itchy. This is my first time to react like this to antibiotics. I went to a dentist for an operation, and he gave me Mefenamic acid 500 mg, Amoxicillin 500 mg, and Povidone iodine gargle. I noted the onset of rashes starting at my face and spreading to my back within two days. I have a fever after that. Due to the progression of rashes with worsening appearance, I went to an MD and consult. He gave me Loratadine, Levocetirizine, Montelukast, and Prednisone

#

It is acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis due to drug reaction (eruptions).

Apply Fucidin cream twice daily for seven days, and Lactocalamine or Dermocalm lotion thrice daily for 15 days.

Take tablet Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloridde) 10 mg thrice daily for seven days. Avoid or stop the drugs which caused the eruption.

Which antibiotics are you allergic to? Do you have any previous episodes or any history of atopy or allergies? Is there any improvement from the previous treatment?

The doctor's initial assessment is that I might be allergic to Amoxicillin. This is not my first time to take Amoxicillin, but this is my first time to have this kind of rashes reaction. I am getting sensitive while getting older. (example. Using a latex glove can easily irritate my skin, and a henna tattoo can also give me rashes).

My doctor instructed me to stop taking other medicines except for Loratadine and Betamethasone. The doctor whom I consult today prescribe me Hydrocortisone Eczacort cream and Mometasone Furoate.

#

Continue Loratadine, Betamethasone, and complete the course. Eczacort cream and Dermocalm lotion can also be helpful.

Take tablet Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride) 10 mg thrice daily for seven days, if no response to the previous treatment.

| 

How to manage itchy skin allergy in a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My worker's daughter is suffering from skin allergy, as shown in the picture. They used medications, and it worked temporarily. The kid is on normal diet. She drinks mother's milk also. Is there any medicine and cure for skin allergy of a 1.5-year-old?  Read Full »

What caused the lesions on the tip of my tongue?

Query: Hello Doctor.. first thank you so much for you're priceless time. from two months until now I got some bimbs or canker sores I think, I don't know exactly what is that "you can see the picture" if you could identify what is that exactly.. i don't have any thing on my lips or any other place just i...  Read Full »

Are itchy skin rashes, abdominal cramps and nausea symptoms of an allergic reaction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very itchy. One time my finger itched in the same spot for like two or three days intermittently, then it was my foot. I have also developed skin rashes that come and go. Doctors say it is either eczema or some kind of skin condition or bug bite. These rashes come and go, one doc...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now