Q. Would taking Infliximab endanger pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I am 26 years old. I am currently working in a hospital. I have been diagnosed with psoriatic spondyloarthropathy six years back. I had severe pain in the right SI joint. Currently, I am not taking medicines except NSAIDs. My MRI was done and it showed MRI joint inflammation. I was advised Infliximab by my rheumatologist. I do not have any gynecological problems. I got married before two years and I want to plan my pregnancy. Would taking Infliximab endangers my pregnancy? Initially, I planned for Infliximab after my delivery, but I could not tolerate the pain. I cannot walk properly. Please help and advise me properly. Would SI joint radiofrequency ablation help with this?

#

We are here to help you.

• Infliximab is a pregnancy category B drug that is it has not shown till now any birth defects in babies in trials. So, it can be used if required.
  • I would not recommend SI joint (sacroiliac joint) radiofrequency at this stage.
  • I would recommend you to discuss with your doctor to start you on Infliximab and you can start planning for a baby once your course is over.
  • So as far as your query is concerned, I feel you can be started on Infliximab as it has promising results and is usually considered safe in pregnancy.
  • You should go ahead with Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquine till you conceive.
  • Painkillers have to be avoided in pregnancy, but Paracetamol can be taken for pains.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|