Q. Can a morning-after pill cause a yeast infection?

Published on Oct 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

Hello doctor,

Can a morning-after pill cause a yeast infection? I took it two days ago and today I began to have an irritation and itch in my vagina. I bought a cream to help it, but I just want to know what could have happened that could have caused this?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• There are two possibilities in your case scenario:
  1. Morning-after pill-induced vaginal dryness and irritation. As this is a hormone, it can cause these symptoms. But these symptoms are transient and should disappear within a week.
  2. Sexually transmitted candida infection from your partner.
  • I would suggest you the following:
  1. Take tablet Fluconazole 200 mg one tablet and repeat it after seven days. The same tablet should also be taken by your partner.
  2. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily for five days.
  3. Avoid the morning pill as much as possible.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

So, should I just let a week pass and see if the irritation, redness, and itchiness stops on its own first? I bought Canesten because the pharmacist told me it would help with the irritation. Is that a good cream for now?

#

• Yes, you can wait for a week and apply that cream locally.
  • If you have any further queries, please ask me.

But, do you think just applying the cream would be enough for the infection to heal? Or, do I still need antibiotics? Can the infection heal by itself I mean?

#

• From my clinical experience in my practice, I personally feel that local application creams, when used alone, do not work well.
  • You should take tablet Fluconazole along as discussed. And, the simultaneous application of cream may be helpful.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries please ask me.

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunita Kothari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest starting FAS-3 kit (Fluconazole, Azithromycin, and Secnidazole) weekly, one tab eight hourly for three weeks. Then insert Canesten (Clotrimazole) vaginal cream internally for seven days. Then Candid (Clotrimazole) dusting powder externally. Start tablet Yaz...  Read Full

How long should I continue Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms seem to suggest that you are suffering from allergy. Levocet M (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) is given for the same purpose. It is true that the medicine should be taken for a few months regularly. It has minimal side effects, like dryness of mouth, ...  Read Full

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have rhinitis as per history. I suggest you taking Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days which is decongestant. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg BD for five days. If fever is also there, then take Paracetamol 500 mg SOS. You can take steam inhalation of warm wa...  Read Full