Q. Can a morning-after pill cause a yeast infection?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 26, 2019

Hello doctor,

Can a morning-after pill cause a yeast infection? I took it two days ago and today I began to have an irritation and itch in my vagina. I bought a cream to help it, but I just want to know what could have happened that could have caused this?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• There are two possibilities in your case scenario:
  1. Morning-after pill-induced vaginal dryness and irritation. As this is a hormone, it can cause these symptoms. But these symptoms are transient and should disappear within a week.
  2. Sexually transmitted candida infection from your partner.
  • I would suggest you the following:
  1. Take tablet Fluconazole 200 mg one tablet and repeat it after seven days. The same tablet should also be taken by your partner.
  2. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily for five days.
  3. Avoid the morning pill as much as possible.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

So, should I just let a week pass and see if the irritation, redness, and itchiness stops on its own first? I bought Canesten because the pharmacist told me it would help with the irritation. Is that a good cream for now?

#

• Yes, you can wait for a week and apply that cream locally.
  • If you have any further queries, please ask me.

| 

But, do you think just applying the cream would be enough for the infection to heal? Or, do I still need antibiotics? Can the infection heal by itself I mean?

#

• From my clinical experience in my practice, I personally feel that local application creams, when used alone, do not work well.
  • You should take tablet Fluconazole along as discussed. And, the simultaneous application of cream may be helpful.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries please ask me.

| 

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »

Can I take Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full »

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full »