Q. What is the normal size of lymph nodes in the groin area?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Nov 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

What measurement in a lymph node is looked at, to determine whether it is normal or not?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

Lymph nodes are small, bean-shaped glands present throughout the body. The lymph system is an important part of the immune system, the body's defense system against diseases. Groups of lymph nodes can be felt in the neck (cervical), groin (inguinal), and underarms (axillary). Inflamed lymph nodes by themselves are generally not a major concern. They are considered significant in the following scenarios:

1. If the swelling of the nodes lasts for more than two weeks.
  2. It is associated with symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, or fever.
  3. If the nodes are hard, fixed to the skin, do not move, or are growing rapidly.
  4. If you can feel the swelling close to your collarbone or in the lower part of the neck.
  5. If the overlying skin is red and inflamed and you suspect an infection.
  6. A palpable lymph node at the neck, even if it is small, is considered significant.

Generally, a lymph node of 1.5 to 2 cm size in the axillary and inguinal regions is considered normal.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My ultrasound reports say that my groin lymph nodes are 37 by 6 by 9 mm and 29 by 4 by 7 mm. Are these normal? Which part of the measurement is the most important?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• The location and number of lymph nodes will be considered primarily.
  • Regarding the size, as the lymph nodes are bean shaped, the maximum length, that is, 37 mm will be taken as the approximate size of the lymph node.
  • Inguinal lymph nodes of size up to 2 cm are considered normal.
  • I have already mentioned the other points regarding their significance.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the rationale behind lymph node enlargement in my baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year 8-month-old son has a single lymph node enlargement which is movable around 1.5 cm. There are no other signs or symptoms. There is no sign of any infections. Should I be worried?  Read Full >>

Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Single lymph node has no significance if there are no associated infections. Maybe your child had some cold or minor infection around that area due to which the lymph nodes got enlarged. You should show a doctor when lymph node increases in size as it is becoming v...  Read Full

Can you clarify the term effaced lymphoid tissue in my pathology report?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an open cervical lymph node biopsy performed about two months ago. They developed suddenly and became quite large over three months. I additionally have lost 35% body weight in a year. I feel incredibly fatigued, unable to eat, developed an enlarged spleen and even showed a sharp dr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: When the nodes are small, during biopsy due to holding by forceps to remove the nodes, crush artifacts are known to occur. Larger nodes are much easier to remove without crush artifacts, whereas in smaller nodes, it can occur...  Read Full

I am having sore throat with post nasal drip and lymph node enlargement. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 19 years old and from the last two years, my sore throat is not going away. I am having a lot of post nasal drip. I tried taking OTC anti-histamines, nothing helped. Today I noticed a hard lump under the chin at right side right at the point where throat begins. What is causing it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms listed by you point to chronic tonsillopharyngitis mostly secondary to the post nasal drip. Delving into the details, the constant post nasal drip is causing inflammation of the posterior pharyngeal wall and the tonsils in the throat. When these get infe...  Read Full