Q. What can be done to improve erection during sex?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have ED. My penis does not erect whenever I tried to have sex with my wife. It goes down in less than a minute. I feel really bad. Please help me out regarding this.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Before we can make any conclusions, I request you to provide the following details. So, an impression can be made about the cause of the problem.

How long are you facing this problem? How the problem started whether it was sudden in onset or build up slowly over the months or years? What is the frequency of the problem in a week or month? Are you able to have some successful sexual intercourse? In a typical month out of what number of sexual interactions or masturbation do not achieve success? What are the factors that increase the problem? What are the factors that relieve the problem such as thoughts, situations, partner, place, etc? Do you get an early morning erection? If yes, how frequently and how intense? Is your partner very critical and demands sex more than what can you think? Does she feel superior to you or bothers you in some other regards? What is the effect on your relationship so far due to this problem?

Please share the details of previous or other medical illnesses, like duration, any complications, treatment received to date, medications you are receiving currently if any including ayurvedic homeopathic or any other, medication you received in past and their effect.

Do you have any psychiatric illnesses like anxiety, depression, fear, etc? What are the investigations done to date and reports of latest investigations such as serum testosterone, TSH, T3, T4 and any other?

I must assure you that once we identify cause it will be easy to correct it. I look forward to seeing more details. Thanks and regards.

| 

I experience this problem for hardly one1 month. It is sudden in onset. I am doing intercourse once in a week and that too not satisfactory. I masturbate a lot before marriage and have no problem regarding that. But, during masturbation, the upper part gets swollen and when I remove the skin down it pains as it clots the blood in the upper part. Mostly, I get morning erection. It gets erected suddenly and remains for 5 to 10 minutes. I do not have any issue with my partner, except she is a little sensitive but she co-operates with me in everything. There are no bad effects on the relationship as she is very understanding. There is no past or present medical history and I am not on any medication. Sometimes, I feel depressed due to my business. There is no report to share.

#

Thanks for reverting back to me with relevant details.

At this stage, I will request you to see a surgeon as from the available description it appears to me that you are having phimosis or paraphimosis. It is a condition of tight skin around the glans penis which is difficult to retract back when there is an erection. The same problem is causing some form of bleeding and swelling under the skin.

Most likely your doctor may need to remove that unwanted skin with small surgical procedure and there is a good possibility that you will retain your capacity for normal erection.

In case he feels otherwise or thinks that it has nothing to do, revert back to me so we can think for the next possible cause for the problem a desired correction.

I look forward to assisting you further. Thanks and regards.

| 

I am suffering from erectile dysfunction and under L-Arginine. Please solve my problem.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. Early morning sex power is also very low. There is a quick immature erection. The genital part does not stand properly. Right now, I am taking 1000 mg L-Arginine once daily. Can you please solve my problem?  Read Full »

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »

I have erectile dysfunction and ejaculation problems. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My cum is not coming out by force or thrust. The cum is just flowing out of my penis. Three years earlier the cum was coming out by force or thrust. I am having erectile dysfunction may be since last two years or two and half years, and I was not having erectile disfunction earlier. I...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now