Q. How to get rid of swelling and itching of eyelids?

Dr. Souhad

I have an eye infection for six months. Initially, it started with the left side under eye and now it is with both the eyes. Currently, my right eyelid and both under eyes has swelled. Whenever I touch or rub my eyes, also I get itching sensation. I have stopped using all eye cosmetics since then. Every doctor I have consulted says it is dust allergy and gives different eye drops, tablets and ointments and says to use it until one month continuously. I have used precisely as each doctor suggested till date but still could not get rid of my eye infection. Even now my eyelids and under eyes are swollen. Please explain to me why is this happening for the past six months and please help me to get rid of this suffering.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Unfortunately, allergy is not a disease as much as it is a reaction to some factors. The purpose of any eye drop that we use as ophthalmologists can recommend is merely to suppress that reaction. The main treatment would be to detect the factor that is causing this condition and escape it. In order to do so, you will have to go in your memory six months back and find out what new factor has been introduced into your life. Another option would be to undergo an allergy test and find out what are the main factors you have an allergy to. It would of course help me more to visualize the changes that you currently have in the eyes. You can upload several good quality photos of your eyelids and invert them so that I can see the conjunctiva (the inner layer of the eyelids). It is very important to inform me whether you have any other symptoms such as sneezing, dry cough or any other symptoms that started at the same time with the changes in your eyes.

| 

My lower eyelids are swollen. Kindly suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, My right eye corner is swollen and having pain when I close my eyes for the last two days. Swelling is on the edge of the lower lid. My baby threw his soft toy which kind of touched my eye two days ago. From then onwards I am having this issue. Kindly suggest a remedy.  Read Full »

Is parasitic eye infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?  Read Full »

Does it take 2 to 3 weeks for a bacterial eye infection to heal?

Query: Hi doctor, From the last two weeks, my eyes are reddish. So after three days, I consulted an ophthalmologist, and he said that I have got an eye infection, and he suggested to use Vigamox, Floace, and tear eye drops, four times daily. But after two days, my vision started to blur, so I rushed to th...  Read Full »