Q. I am not getting married because of my facial hair. Please help.

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare
Published on Oct 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 32 year old female. I have PCOD. My doctor prescribed me Fertiplus tablets containing Myo-inositol and D-chiro inositol. But, I cannot afford it. Please suggest me a low-cost treatment.

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The easiest and cheapest way for you to get healthy is by lifestyle modification such as diet and exercise. Try losing weight. You need to lose 20 kg. Weight loss itself will improve the symptoms of PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).

• Take Calcium tablet like Shelcal-HD twice daily for three months.
  • You need to get investigated for fasting blood sugar and fasting insulin levels so that we can check for insulin resistance and add Metformin, if necessary.
  • Take a combined hormonal pill like Dronis for six cycles.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My fasting glucose levels and insulin levels are normal. Should I still take Metformin? Even my periods are regular. But, I have acne and facial hair. Help me. I am not getting married because of this. It looks like a man's shave. People think I am a transgender. How to lower my testosterone levels?

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Find out the HOMA IR (homeostatic model assessment insulin resistance) ratio. That is, FBS x insulin/405. If it is more than 3.2, then I suggest you take Metformin.
  • Also, I suggest you start tablet Dronis (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) once a day for six cycles. It is a 24-pill pack. Take 24 pills, then leave a gap of four days and then have it again for 24 days. It will reduce facial hair.

I tested my insulin and FBS levels today. My insulin levels are high. Do I have diabetes or is it because of PCOD? I am taking myoinositol. Which is a better option for PCOD, Myoinositol capsule, Metformin or a combination of both?

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You do not have diabetes, but you have insulin resistance and this is because of PCOS.

• Take Metformin 500 mg once a day for a week and then two times a day after lunch and dinner.
  • Repeat your fasting insulin level test after six weeks.
  • Take Shelcal HD twice daily for three months.

Stick to strict diet and exercise.

Currently, I am taking Myoinositol. Should I stop that medication? I have read that Myoinositol is a better option than Metformin. But, it is very costly. I will be getting married soon. Please help me.

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

For insulin resistance, Metformin is cheaper and better. You can stop Myoinositol and start Metformin. It will help in weight reduction as well.

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Are swollen breast and less facial hair signs of infertility?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My weight is 65 kg and height is 5'5". I am having enlarged breast and very less facial hair. Will this lead to infertility? I am not taking any medicine. I have consulted an endocrinologist regarding this. He examined my chest and suggested me to get a hormon...  Read Full »