Q. Can I have rabies with minor injury even when I am already vaccinated?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

Can a puppy of three months have fine teeth that there is no mark on the skin if it pricks us, and we are at risk of rabies? I am asking this because a puppy comes to my house to play. While playing, I felt his tooth pricked on my thumb. But when I looked at my thumb, there was neither any mark nor any blood. But I am afraid that he has bitten me. I want to clarify that I have got all the rabies vaccines (including serum) to protect myself in the last month. I also feel that I might have pricked his mustache instead of his teeth.

It has been five days. Please show me the right path.

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. Your previous vaccine is good enough and will save you from rabies. Once you take the rabies vaccine total dose, it is effective for the next five years. There is no need to repeat the vaccine even if you are bit by a dog again. So, for now, no need to repeat the vaccine course.

Do not worry; you will not acquire rabies because your puppy is young and never exposed to rabid dogs. Also, your injury is minimal. So stay tension-free; you are going to be fine.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|