Q. I got vaccinated after a stray dog scratched me. Should I do anything else?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I was scratched by a stray dog as he got excited while I fed him, and his nail scratched my knee. The dog was calm and had no unusual behavior. I washed the scratch and went to the emergency room for an injection. Doctor gave Rabivax and said immunoglobulin is not required as the scratch was not so deep. My description of the scratch would be a simple scratch with little redness. No blood came out. However, red dots are seen after 10 hours. I went back to the hospital, and also got immunoglobulin (Rabishield) for my piece of mind. Now the scratch is a bit swollen. My question is, apart from the other four shots, should I do anything extra? Was I late in getting immunoglobulin (I took it within 12 hours)? Should I even monitor the dog or relax? Kindly advise.

#

You should not be worried much because you have got vaccinated, even with immunoglobulin. Please observe the dog, and if nothing changes, you can be chill. And if you are very curious, you can get follow-up vaccines on days 3, 7, 14, and 28. And if you get any symptoms, please let me know or go to a nearby doctor. Thank you. If you need anything, please let me know.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know the answers to the following questions:

1. Is my scratch serious enough (I have attached the image)?

2. I have got both immunoglobulin and anti-rabies vaccine. Should that keep me 100 % safe?

3. If the dog was not aggressive, just playful, should I still follow the dog's behavior?

4. I am an anxious person, and if I monitor symptoms, I get more symptoms. What to do?

5. Are the vaccines (Rabivax) and Immunoglobin (Rabishield) effective brands?

#

Your scratches are not that deep <attachment removed to protect patient identity>. It is mild. Yes, the vaccines are effective enough. If you follow the dog for 10 to 14 days, it will be good. Even if you cannot monitor the dog, no need to worry much, as you have been vaccinated already. They will protect you. And you are going to get all the vaccines so there should be no worries at all. No need to panic at all; you have handled it correctly. You got a vaccine and immunoglobulin immediately. So, you can be assured and relax. Thank you for your feedback. If anything else, I am here to reply.

|