Q. What could a fever of two days duration and rigors be due to?

Dr. Murali R
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2018

A 58 year old man had a high fever with rigors yesterday. He has given blood for testing.

After the completion of the blood test, he had a febrile illness. Can you suggest medications and do's and don'ts?

#

Fever of two days duration with rigors may be non-specific, viral, malaria or a urinary tract infection. Look for rashes on the body because viral fevers are prevalent now.

Take Dolo 650 (Paracetamol) as when the fever comes, up to a maximum of four times a day. And, if the fever is more than 101 degrees, do a cold sponging.

If he has a cold or cough, he can start antibiotic Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin and Potassium Clavulanate) twice daily after food for five days. Do a complete blood picture and share the report. If you have any other queries please let me know.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

Why Dolo 650 is used?

Dolo 650 contains Paracetamol which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug used mainly for mild to moderate pain and fever which can be due to a headache,inflammation, infection, pain in the muscles, cramps due to menstruation, etc.

2.

Is Dolo 650 a painkiller?

Yes, it is a painkiller. By the category of drug it falls into, it is a good analgesic (painkiller) and antipyretic (against fever) but poor anti-inflammatory.

3.

Does Dolo 650 affect pregnancy?

It is comparatively a safer drug during pregnancy but try to limit the dosage, and has exceptions too. Hence, get your doctor’s consent before having it.

4.

How often can Dolo 650 be taken?

It can be taken thrice daily at the maximum by adults. Do not overdose it more than 4 grams in adults and it is better to consult your physician before taking it, if in doubt.

5.

What is the side effect of Dolo 650?

The side effects include the following. Allergy, nauseous, vomiting, ulcer (stomach or mouth), anemia, unusually finding a bleeding or bruise, lethargy, and fatigue.

6.

Can Dolo 650 be used for stomach pain?

It can be used in case it is a muscular cramp. But, if it is due to any other cause like ulcer,etc., it is advisable to get treated for the disease.

7.

Can Dolo 650 be used for body pain?

Yes, one of the major indication of this medicine is for mild to moderate pain. This gives temporary relief. But, in case you continue to have the pain for longer periods, get yourself evaluated for the cause and treatment.

8.

Which tablet is best for fever?

Paracetamol is the gold standard tablet used during fever, though should be used cautiously in patients with liver disease.

9.

Is Combiflam a painkiller?

Yes, Combiflam is a combination of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen, which are potent painkillers, and come under the major group of drugs called a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

10.

Is Crocin banned in US?

No, it is not. Plain paracetamol available in the name of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in US. But the combination with other pain killers are banned due to high death rate caused by liver toxicity.

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»