Q. Can fibroadenoma of the breast recur?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I had a fibroadenoma in my breast, which was removed two years back. But now, I feel a small cluster on my breast. Can fibroadenoma recur? Someone said that I am infected with a sexual disease. I have regular periods, do I have any sexually transmitted disease? I am not sexually active.

#

Firstly, I would like to tell you that fibroadenoma is a non-cancerous breast problem which occurs in young women. These are usually hormone related and frequently regress after menopause.

It is always recommended to increase vegetables and fruit intake, and exercise regularly. Get regular breast examination to make sure that the size is not increasing.

Also, fibroadenomas are affected by hormones and tend to fluctuate in size during menstrual cycle or if using oral contraceptives, and these may even shrink after menopause. Local reoccurrence of fibroadenoma is common.

Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) are due to organisms that hide in vaginal secretions, semen, blood, and sometimes saliva. Many of these are spread through contact with infected body fluids or semen.

Having unprotected (without condom) vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has STD is the usual mode through which it can be acquired. It is difficult to tell if someone has STD, as there can be no symptoms or signs. Genital touching can also transmit some of these diseases like syphilis or herpes.

For more information consult an HIV-AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|