Q. I have swelling and difficulty in walking post metatarsal fracture treatment. Why?

Dr. Lokesh

I had 2, 3, and 4 metatarsal foot fractures, and the foot was in a cast for a month. Now there is a slight swelling, and it hurts on walking. I am unable to walk smoothly, and I partially drag my foot while walking. Hence I request your advice on when I will walk normally? What should I do to expedite the same? Generally, the period of recovery is 6 to 12 weeks, as I have been told. Are the 6 to 12 weeks counted from the cast removal date or the injury date? Please advise.

#

Your foot and walking should normalize after about 6-8 weeks after the injury. The pain should settle by 90%, bones should heal by this time, and you should be walking in a long walker boot orthosis until eight weeks total after the injury date.

To expedite the healing, use a long walker boot orthosis for another three weeks now:

1.Wear a crepe bandage under the boot to reduce swelling.

2. Keep the leg elevated above the heart level as much as possible throughout the day to reduce swelling and pain.

3. Take calcium and vitamin D medications.

4. Repeat x-rays of the foot and follow up.

The period of recovery is counted from the date of injury.

This is only a second opinion platform. This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of the report/image and is based entirely on the inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.

2-3-4 metatarsal fractures.

Follow up with all x-rays.

|