Q. How long will it take to heal frenulum tear?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Mar 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

I got married before seven years and living happily with my wife. A week ago, I had a very enthusiastic sex session in the shower. During which I slipped out and missed going back in and had a substantial impact.

At that time I believe I had a frenulum tear and the skin was split. After initial redness and swelling, now it has a small scab. How long will it take to heal? And is going to a doctor worth my time?

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

It is quite common to get a frenulum tear while having coitus. It will heal within four to five days and pain will subside in a day or two. However, if you still continue to have pain, you can seek an opinion. Avoid coitus for few days for a quick recovery.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Would an impact strong enough to cause a frenulum tear along with urethral discoloration?

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

It is quite rare for a single injury to cause frenulum tear along with urethral discoloration. Urethral discoloration is mainly caused by either chronic injury during coitus or genital lesions due to sexually transmitted infections. At times, it can be idiopathic in few cases, which means without any underlying reason for the same.

In case of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), discoloration is usually associated with sores which are quite painful along with burning sensation, discharge per urethra, difficulty to micturate and painful coitus. STDs are usually acquired by having unprotected coitus with an infected person and promiscuous behavior increases the risk of contracting STDs.

In case you found to have any of the above risk factors or symptoms associated with this urethral discoloration, then you should see a venereologist as soon as possible for further evaluation. However if no such risk factors, then you should give ample time for the tear to heal, abstain from any kind of sexual activity for a while and reassess once it gets healed.

I have none of the risk factors you have mentioned above. I have been happily married and living faithfully for the past seven years. When I get out of the shower I have two small white dots on the inside of my urethra.

After drying off they get smaller but turned darker. No discharge or pain, but occasionally there will be slight itch. Do you have any idea what that could be?

Also, my frenulum tear has turned red around the scab but appears to slowly getting smaller. Should I see a doctor? Are these two issues related?

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

Good to hear from you. It is very impressing to know that you have maintained a very successful married life.

Regarding your query pertaining to few dots that you have observed on your urethra after shower, I would like to enquire few things about them as well.Whether these dots are elevated above the surface and palpated by fingers or are just visualized but non-palpable?

In case they are palpable then there could be a possibility of a genital wart. If not palpable then it could be the normal structural part of urethra. The genital warts can be acquired by having anal intercourse as well. If performed anal coitus too frequently without using condoms, then chances of acquiring genital warts are too high.

They are often associated with itching as well. However, need not panic. They can be removed with treatment. To be sure about it, consult a venereologist. Regarding your frenulum tear, now it become brighter but have reduced in size, you need not to be worried about it, as it is following the natural course of healing. It will heal completely gradually.

Meanwhile, follow the precautions that I have advised in previous query and maintain abstinence from vigorous coitus for a while.

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, if you had sex with someone who has never had sex with anyone else before you then you cannot get an STD. STDs are only transmitted from an infected sexual partner. So, if it is the first time sex for someone then obviously that person has never been exposed to S...  Read Full

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms are common in both STD (sexually transmitted diseases) and UTI (urinary tract infections). If you do not have vaginal discharge or any history of unprotected sex, then UTI is the cause. You can confirm the diagnosis with the following tests. You can do ur...  Read Full

I have no STD symptoms. Should I still get tested before I meet my wife?

Query: Hello doctor,Due to work, I have been away from my wife for more than two years. I had a few sexual encounters with sex workers here. I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex twice last year, protected oral sex and protected vaginal sex once last year, unprotected oral sex and protected ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, ideally speaking, I feel tests are the need of the hour, as there are unprotected sexual encounters (oral sex) with high-risk individuals (commercial sex workers). Considering the future implications of any...  Read Full

Ask a Sexologist Now