Q. Typing on the keyboard causes a shoulder pain from three years. Please help.

Hello doctor,

I have been using the computer every day for ten years and have developed a right shoulder pain in the last three years. I spend seven to eight hours with the computer and use the right hand for the mouse and keyboard. Now, I have to use the mouse with my left hand due to frequent pain in the right shoulder. If sometimes, I use the right hand for typing in the keyboard or mobile, then I feel a pain. I take Voveran tablet and use Voveran gel to reduce the pain. I do shoulder exercise sometimes. All these give temporary relief, but the pain starts again while using my right hand to type. I need your help in the following queries in this regard. Has my shoulder got damaged due to computer use? Is this a nerve pain or muscular pain? What medicines should I take for pain relief? Can there be any permanent cure to this pain? Looking forward to your reply.

#

I went through your query.

• This does not seem like a localized pain to the hand and shoulder. I think the pain is neurogenic originating from the compression of a nerve in the neck.
  • There is a possibility of frozen shoulder too which may also present with similar symptoms. 
  • I would suggest getting an X-ray of the cervical spine and simultaneously start tablet Flugesic SR (Flupirtine) 400 half a tablet, both in the morning and evening.
  • It is advisable to stop Diclofenac and other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) which may be harmful if taken in the long run.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for the reply. The pain in the right shoulder also extends up to the whole right side of the neck region. I need some clarification on the following issues. Is nerve compression in the neck due to computer use? Please mention how to cure this problem. Is frozen shoulder also due to the computer use? Please mention how to cure this problem. What is the exact use of Flugesic SR 400 tablets? How long should I take this medicine twice daily?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Yes, a desktop job has been seen to be associated with cervical spondylosis that may cause a pain in the whole arm.
  • Frozen shoulder can result in normal people with normal activities. However, it is more common in sedentary people.
  • Flugesic has been seen to be very effective in neuropathic cervical spondylosis related pain. It is a non-NSAID non-opioid analgesic for neuropathic pain.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for the reply. I have some more queries in this regard. How to ensure whether the pain is due to cervical spondylosis, frozen shoulder or both? Can cervical spondylosis cause pain only in the right shoulder? What is the cure to cervical spondylosis if the pain is due to this? What is the cure to frozen shoulder if the pain is due to this? Should I take the Flugesic tablet only when pain arises? Is there any shoulder support available to use for avoiding pain? Should I use my right hand for typing or do most of the typing work in my left hand?

#

• The difference between frozen shoulder and cervical spondylosis is that in cervical spondylosis, the pain radiates to the arm, while in frozen shoulder, the pain is usually limited to the shoulder area and increases with shoulder movements.
  • The pain in a frozen shoulder is limited to one side which is affected and responds to physiotherapy.
  • Maintaining a proper posture of the neck and not bending forwards too much while using the computer, can help in the long term prevention of spondylosis.
  • You can type with both hands and if it is painful, use the one which does not cause pain.
  • Neck support comes in the form of a cervical collar. However, it should be avoided as much as possible. Use only if prolonged neck bending is required to be done as it causes neck muscle weakness.

Thanks for the reply. It seems that the pain is likely due to a frozen shoulder as it is limited to that area alone. I have been using a cervical collar regularly since two to three years to avoid neck pain. The neck pain is gone, but the shoulder pain is causing the problem. There are some queries in this regard. How long does it take for this frozen shoulder issue to get cured? Can frozen shoulder be completely cured or will it keep coming back with my work? Is there any particular exercise to cure frozen shoulder? Can this kind of shoulder support (see link) help in avoiding shoulder pain? What is the exact use of vitamin D and thyroid test?

#

• Frozen shoulder is curable with a two-step treatment, that is, physiotherapy and intra-articular steroid injection. When taken together, they are complementary to each other.
  • A single shot of intra-articular Triamcinolone 60 mg into the shoulder joint has been seen to be very effective in frozen shoulder.
  • You can use this shoulder support, but it may not be beneficial. Physiotherapy is more helpful.
  • Vitamin D deficiency is common in people who have a desktop job and can cause aches and pains. That is the reason I had suggested starting a six weeks course of vitamin D. Even if your vitamin D levels are normal, taking oral vitamin D is not going to harm you.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|