Q. I am experiencing diarrhea, weakness, and fever. Please help.

Dr. Sujata Ganguly
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am experiencing diarrhea, weakness, fever, and headaches. Whenever I drink or eat anything, I have loose motions. I feel this is a heat stroke. Can you please help?

Dr. Sujata Ganguly

#

1. Your age?
  2. How long have you been having these symptoms?
  3. Any vomiting?
  4. Any other pre-existing illness or medications?
  5. Did you eat anything from outside?
  6. Were you exposed to the sun for long?
  7. Are you passing adequate amounts of urine?
  • Heat stroke is unlikely, as the patient feels extremely hot, dry, and disoriented. Heat exhaustion is a possibility. I suggest you try the following:
  1. Stay indoors.
  2. Take plenty of fluids by mouth like coconut water, salt and sweet lemon water, etc., approximately 2 liters a day or more if there is continuous watery diarrhea. You must make sure you are not dehydrated.
  3. Oral rehydrating solution sachets or electrolyte replacement solution. One sachet mixed with one liter of water to be had over 3 to 4 hours or as described on the sachet.
  4. Tablet Sporlac (Lactobacillus), three times a day for three days.
  5. Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg in case of fever. Maximum four times a day, six hours apart.
  6. Take yogurt or curd.
  • If the symptoms do not resolve in two to three days, kindly contact a doctor to rule out other possibilities. Kindly contact a doctor immediately in case of worsening of symptoms, if urine output decreases or you feel faint or lose consciousness, or you pass blood in stools.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Are my weakness and confusion due to low sugar or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suddenly feeling faint, weak, shaking, confused, and as if moving in slow motion. It has been going on for nearly 24 hours. Is this low blood sugar or stroke?  Read Full »

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »