Q. Could a wart recur after 11 years?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2020

11 years ago, I had genital warts. As I embarrassed to go to the doctor I ordered Aldara online and it worked. My question is what if I missed a wart after all this time? I do have a few very tiny white specks on underside of the head on my penis. When I showed them to my regular physician five years ago, he said they are pearly papules and not warts. Can I trust him? Is he right? I am seeing a new partner and do not want to infect her. Please guide me.

#

First I do want to make sure that recurrence of wart after 11 years is almost impossible.

Now you can get genital wart only after exposure due to sexual contact done recently.

The second possibility of untreated or remaining part of wart also impossible as in 11 year untreated wart would have become significantly large in size and would never remain unnoticed all these years.

The penile pearly papule and wart are very different condition and can be recognized by photos. If you are able send me photos of your condition I would definitely tell you what it is.

Penile pearly papule is not a disease or any treatable condition. It is just sweat and sebaceous gland which are a bit bigger in size. These are small, multiple and arranged around the penile skin. It does not increase in size, totally asymptomatic and natural thing.

Wart has rough surface. They appear four to five in number. It will appear after a sexual contact history within a month.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your quick reply. My concern is I do not think I had these before 11 years ago. But, I do not know for sure. Is it possibly warts and when I started using Aldara 11 years ago they might get stopped I guess. Also, I do not see any warts at all for 11 years. Is it possible that I have one after all this time? I just do not want to infect someone. Please help.

#

Let me make you 100% sure that no wart remains unnoticed for 11 years. So either it is not wart or you would have got new infection recently.

• Again I mention that no wart can stay untreated and unnoticed over penile area for 11 years. It will definitely increase in number or size or will get noticed by you. There is no matter whether you used Aldara at that time.
  • Wart is highly contagious condition so it will infect other part of penis too and will increase in number.
  • But, you might have penile pearly papules which are not much significant and no need to worry for that.

Here I have attached the photos for your reference. Please have a look.

#

• No, these are not warts (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Small multiple dots like thing is pearly papules, which is normal.
  • Although you have uploaded only one photo, I would be in favor of penile pearly papule by closely looking the photo.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Do I need biopsy for genital warts on penile head?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with genital warts on the penile head. I was given Imiquimod cream to be applied for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning on alternate days and then wash off. The treatment went on for two months. Warts became lighter but did not go completely. It is definitely better than b...  Read Full »

Is hirsuties coronae glandis a contagious one?

Query: Hi doctor, There are a few little things around my glans. I think I have hirsuties coronae glandis. What can I do about it? Is it contagious? Please explain.  Read Full »

There are white spots on the inner part of the penis. Is it penile papules?

Query: Hello doctor,I have noticed there is some pimple like structures on my scrotum skin. Is it warts? I do not have sexual relation with anyone till now. My father is suffering from eczema. Is it due to that? And also, I am seeing white spots on the inner part of the penis. Is it penile papules? Please ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»