Q. I found a pimple-like bump that bleeds on and off inside my vagina. Please help.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have noticed in the last few weeks that I have spotted when I wipe down there from time to time. I was wondering what is happening due to not having any other symptoms. So I took a mirror and went on the search, and I found a little pimple-like thing that bleeds from time to time inside my vagina. I have a picture if that is going to make it easier to diagnose. I cannot go to my gynecologist due to COVID-19. They are only taking emergency appointments, and they said I should be good if I do not have any other symptoms. But this is not letting me sleep at night, and I need to know what it is. I searched on the internet everything, and I cannot find one single thing about something similar. Please help.

#

Thanks for reaching out.

Based on the symptoms and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have provided, the important differential diagnosis could be:

• Genital warts.
  • Molluscum contagiosum of the vagina.
  • Infected inclusion cyst.
  • Allergic reaction or contact dermatitis.

I am not in favor of herpes because it would have been more painful and itchy in that case.

The important remedies what you can do are,

1. Avoid any irritant application like soap, lotion, detergent, and powder to genitalia.
  2. Avoid using tight underwear.
  3. Use cotton underwear and loose cotton bottoms.
  4. Do not touch or squeeze the existing pimple.
  5. Clean the vulva with regular water every time you pee.
  6. If you have used any recent lubricants, condoms, and tampons, change it.
  7. If possible, you can self collect a high vaginal swab and send it for culture and sensitivity and STI (sexually transmitted infections) screening (it to rule out any infections).

Try to do the above preventive measures, and mostly it will decrease on its own. If it does not reduce, then a per speculum examination must be done for any other local pathology inside the vulva. I hope this detailed reply answers your query. Feel free to reach out with any further queries.

|