Q. Suffering from constant clearing of mucus. Is this related to HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Dec 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I feel something stuck in my throat and constant clearing of mucus for a month now. But, there is no pain while swallowing. I had Azithral 500 mg for five days, but it did not work. Since five days, I have been taking Pantodac 40 mg. It has cured the feeling of something stuck in throat and mucus is still coming, but has reduced a little. During the daytime, the mucus is white and as soon as I wake up it is light green in color. I am completely anxious and stressed for the past five weeks after the incident of unprotected sex. Is this related to HIV? I am getting scared of this. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

• Avoid carbonated drinks, hot and spicy foods. Take short frequent meals.
  • Do not sleep or lie down immediately after food.
  • Take Pantodac along with chewable antacids or syrups for immediate relief of symptoms. Do exercise, yoga and meditation.
  • You can consult your physician for management if it does not subside. I do not see any reason for you to panic about HIV.

For further doubts consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I had Pantodac yesterday after lunch and dinner along with antacids. The constant clearing of throat reduced and phlegm reduced drastically, but then as soon as I woke up there was lot of phlegm and it was all white today. After breakfast I did not take antacid and phlegm is not as before and it is white. After the incident of sexual exposure a few days later I noticed tiny red bumps on the penis head. They come and disappear. When I visited a doctor before two weeks, she said it as an irritation. But, I am getting them continuously. When erect, I see red spots; otherwise they look like tiny red bumps. They are not itchy or painful. If I notice them in the night, then by next morning they will disappear and vice versa. Is this related to HIV? I am getting scared and worried. I tend to look up the internet every now and then. I am not able to keep away from that incident and it is haunting me. Please help.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

• If symptoms persist consult your physician for GI symptoms.
  • Regarding rashes, it may be due to irritation or fungal infection. Wear loose cotton inner wears. Clean the area with warm water twice daily. Do not over clean or use harsh soaps.
  • You can get back for any clarification with clear photos and details. It is unlikely due to HIV. You can allay fears.

Revert back with the photos to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues. Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too. Hiatal hernia...  Read Full

Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a chronic fever, which is called as pyrexia of unknown origin when we are unable to ascertain a cause. As your blood tests and x-ray are normal, lung infection is ruled out. Conditions causing chronic fever are numerous. Also, certain infections like tuber...  Read Full

HIV RNA was negative on 21st day? Can it be positive later?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Though the photo is not clear, I can make out slight redness on the glans. It may be due to irritation or fungal infection. Do not over clean the area. Clean the area with warm water twice dai...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now