Q. Is my husband normal, pre-diabetic or diabetic?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

I am very concerned with my husbands latest lab report, mainly due to his doctor's reaction and strong family history. His morning fasting came back at a 105 and his A1c test came back at a 5.5. His doctor recommends a 5 % reduction in his A1c but from what I have read these numbers are still in the normal range. Is he in danger of developing diabetes? Is he already pre-diabetic or diabetic? Where do you think his A1c should be?

#

• His HbA1c level is in the normal range which signifies that in the past three months, his sugar levels were normal.
  • There is no specified value to be a non-diabetic. Patient with an HbA1c of more than seven is considered as diabetic.
  • His reports are suggestive of prediabetes stage. A proper diet and regular physical exercise can help improve it.
  • There is no need for any medication as of now.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|