Q. Is there any finding in my MRI regarding ice pick headaches?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have been having ice pick headaches. Hence, I went for an MRI scan and regular blood tests. Now, I am wondering whether my report is normal. Can you please guide me? Thank you.

Do you have a question on Headache or Mri?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vivek Chail

MBBS., DMRD., DNB (RADIODIAGNOSIS
Radiodiagnosis Radiology

The attached MRI images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) showed normal findings.

• There are many pictures which have not been attached. However, I wish to have a look at the complete set of pictures for an accurate interpretation of your MRI scan brain images.
  • I request you to please upload the entire content of the CD in DICOM format (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine).

Revert back with the complete pictures to a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

I have uploaded the other images. Kindly check them.

Dr. Vivek Chail

MBBS., DMRD., DNB (RADIODIAGNOSIS
Radiodiagnosis Radiology

Thanks for writing in with an update. There are two small findings on the MRI scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• There is a 11 x 5 mm area in right temporal lobe subcortical location and it is showing increased signal intensity on T2 and fluid-attenuated inversion recovery (FLAIR) images.
  • This can be a cause for headaches in some people. This is not a serious problem. However, it requires to be discussed with your neurologist.
  • There is a 10 mm diameter polyp or cyst in the right maxillary sinus anteriorly. This is a common finding and not likely to cause any problem.
  • There is a deviation of the posterior nasal septum with convexity to the right side.

For further information consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Thank you for your reply. You listed hyperintensity as the first finding. I would like to know, is that something consistent with MS or some type of inflammation? Please guide.

Dr. Vivek Chail

MBBS., DMRD., DNB (RADIODIAGNOSIS
Radiodiagnosis Radiology

Thanks for writing back with an update.

• Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a medical condition in which the covering layer of nerves get damaged and therefore the patient has a wide range of symptoms.
  • Diagnosis of MS is based on particular MRI scan findings listed under the McDonald diagnostic criteria which have been modified before six years.
  • The said criteria have to be fulfilled before a probable diagnosis of MS is confirmed on MRI scan. About 77 percent of people who fulfill the criteria can have MS.
  • Sometimes, it requires keeping a close watch on symptoms and then repeating MRI scan in 6 to 12 months before a diagnosis of MS can be confirmed based on the criteria.
  • Your finding of a small hyperintensity in the right temporal lobe does not satisfy the criteria. Therefore, the probability of MS from the MRI scan right now is unlikely.
  • There are other causes like, small areas of deficient blood supply and similar conditions which can be causing it in you.
  • Many people with diabetes and high blood pressure have such findings. This finding is also associated with patients having migraine.
  • This entity is becoming more common in MRI scans. Research is also going on to know more about the probable causes, especially in the young people who have it as this also includes genetic causes.

Thank you again doctor,

I do have vascular issues. So, I suppose that could be the cause. Should I be concerned about brain tumor?

Dr. Vivek Chail

MBBS., DMRD., DNB (RADIODIAGNOSIS
Radiodiagnosis Radiology

Thanks for writing back with an update.

• Your MRI scan (attachment removed to protect patient identity) findings can be associated with vascular causes which you have.
  • A brain tumor is unlikely to show such findings, like the one in your brain MRI scan. Brain tumors are usually larger and cause symptoms due to pressure effects and brain swelling.
  • An aggressive brain tumor usually causes sudden deterioration of symptoms in three to six months.
  • If such an event happens, then another MRI brain scan is suggested. If required, then a screening MRI scan of the spine can also be done.

For further queries consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

Do you suggest surgery for DNS?
Query: Hi doctor, I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. DNS (deviated nasal septum) and allergies are two different things. Only if you have symptoms of nose block and headache, then surgery for DNS will be helpful. For allergic rhinitis, you should start nasal spray having decongestant and steroid combination, and that will h...  Read Full »

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you attach the MRI images and upload it so that I can see it? For more information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist  Read Full »

Kindly explain nasal CT scan taken for rebound congestion in nostril.
Query: Hi doctor, My nasal CT Scan reports say: Deviation of the nasal septum to the left side with a septal spur on the left side impinging left interior turbinate visualized. Inferior turbinate hypertrophy visualized on both sides. Mild middle turbinate hypertrophy visualized on both sides. Mild bi...  Read Full »
Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me help you understand your report point by point. Deviated nasal septum means the midline partition dividing your nose into two cavities is not straight. It is deviated to the left side. Inferior turbinate is a small curved bone in the side of the nasal cavity. ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now